Remains of Korean War Chaplain Fr. Emil Kapaun Found!

Daytonian777

Daytonian777

This morning I was watching the news from the night before, and to my joyous surprise, the body of Medal of Honor recipient Chaplain Emil J. Kapaun has been found. If you do not know the story of this great man, you should read up on him. He was truly inspiring in his love for God, humanity and life. If I am not mistaken, a fellow forum member has a grouping to a Korean War soldier who was with Fr. Kapaun. He is on the road to sainthood in The Catholic Church because he died a martyr of charity. 

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls..."

- Chaplain Emil J. Kapaun, 1st Cavalry Division, United States Army

Servant of God Kapaun, pray for us!

Fr.Kapaun.jpg

Fr. Kapaun.jpg

kapaun_battlefield.jpg

Fr Kapaun Fruit Salad.png

Thank you for the update, Padre Kapaun has been the subject of several different topics in several different forums on USMF over the years. We will keep an eye out to where he will be laid for rest.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/05/remains-identified-army-chaplain-medal-of-honor-recipient-who-died-pow-north-korea.html

• 3 months later...
Daytonian777
On 3/7/2021 at 8:26 AM, patches said:

Thank you for the update, Padre Kapaun has been the subject of several different topics in several different forums on USMF over the years. We will keep an eye out to where he will be laid for rest.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/05/remains-identified-army-chaplain-medal-of-honor-recipient-who-died-pow-north-korea.html

The Kapaun family and Archdiocese of Wichita have announced that Fr. Kapaun's body will be placed in a crypt at the Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception in September. It is wonderful that a true American hero (and such profound man of God) will finally be put to rest in a place that is so befitting. I've attached a picture of the Cathedral in which he will be laid. I am going to try to attend the funeral mass if I am able!

Cathedral_of_the_Immaculate_Conception_2_-_Wichita,_KS.jpeg

KSCATHEDRAL.jpeg

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Fr. Kapaun's marble tomb was delivered today. His interment will be on 29 September 2021 after the funeral mass.

fr kapaun tomb.jpeg

fr kapaun tomb II.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
Daytonian777

Yesterday, 29 September, a true American hero (and saint) was laid to rest.

318308430_FrKapaun2.jpg.672f2d95a36950dcd1b5e441591d9e5f.jpg

Kapaun-procession-3.jpg.22a86bfe598485b55b0a8f12f1e0ed3e.jpg

677226127_FrKapaun3.jpg.355329ca6f78d52215228b1477df26d6.jpg

Daytonian777

Fr. Kapaun, requiescat in pace. Thank you for your extraordinary service to our Country and to your men. Ora Pro Nobis!

FR Kapaun MOH.jpg

Daytonian777

@BILL THE PATCH  It has been my pleasure adding in real time (to this forum) the return of Fr. Kapaun's remains. I have a great love for him and wish to one day name one of my sons Emil in honor of Father.

patrick_usmc

Here's the video of Fr. Kapaun's funeral Mass, for those who might be interested.

At 1 hour and 58 minutes in, remarks written by Col. Mike Dowe, a fellow POW and friend of Fr. Kapaun's, are delivered on his behalf by one of the priests in attendance. They pay great tribute to Father Kapaun, and are a fascinating story well worth a listen. Ray Kapaun's remarks immediately preceding that and Bishop Kemme's homily earlier in the Mass are worth a listen too. 

The guy in the wheelchair in the front row was a POW with Fr. Kapaun as well. What a moving scene - I'm glad he's finally home.