You find the strangest things at flea markets (SureFire MG Light and IR Sniperscope)

Tonomachi

I picked this up today at the flea market for a reasonable price which came out of a storage locker.  It is a military SureFire light for a crew served machine gun.  

Surefire Hellfighter (2).JPG

Surefire Hellfighter (3).JPG

Surefire Hellfighter (4).JPG

Surefire Hellfighter (7).JPG

Surefire Hellfighter (5).JPG

Surefire Hellfighter (6).JPG

Surefire Hellfighter (1).JPG

There was something else for sale at this same flea market however the asking price was too much for what I wanted to pay.  It is a 1950s era infrared sniper scope.  I remember seeing an old black and white picture of one on top of an M-1 carbine.

Infrared Sniper Scope (7).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (1).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (8).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (3).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (10).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (4).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (6).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (5).jpg

Infrared Sniper Scope (2).jpg

That sniper scope is awesome! Can't imagine a lot of them still available. Just curious what was their asking price?  

Brian Keith

You have a good flea market in your area! The Surefire is a great find! Now, just get a SAW to put it on! The Sniper Scope is missing some important components it looks like. I would like to find one made by Farnsworthe of Ft. Wayne, IN. I always wondered why they put the IR scope on the .30 caliber M-1 Carbine, till i realized how heavy this thing was with the battery and it had very limited optical range.

Nice to know some flea markets have things other than kids cloths and tupperware!

BKW

I think I would have offered $750 for the IR Scope. A complete one will bring a good dollar. Pony.

IR scope is worth good money!  Offer $500 next time you see him.  That can't be fun to haul to a flea market every weekend.

riflegreen297

Great find, that is a nice Hellfighter.  Not sure about a SAW, but we ran them on our .50's.  Worked really nice with the IR lens.  

I’d strongly encourage carefully inspecting the optics of that IR scope before any thoughts of acquiring it. It looks like it was poorly stored for a long period of time. Those optics could have some serious damage from fungus and other types of degradation that can damage vintage optics that were improperly stored.

The Hellfighters can be used with battery packs (as seen) or by plug into a military vehicle. The battery used version I think has a carry bag for the batteries to go in. The plugged in versions will work in the military volt system vehicles but its obviously a different plug than will fit in a civilian lighter. 

BUT - you can have someone rewire the plug to work in a standard cigarette lighter plug as found in civilian vehicles. Just get a plug with a fuse in it. 

Those lights are bright.    

• 4 months later...

That hellfighter kit is an awesome find! I found one as well but without the rail and battery. It came with a power cable already modified to work with a cig light. I made another power cable to connect to a small rechargeable 12v battery for a game camera that I can carry with the light. I really wish I had the rail piece!