WW1 Bullion RMA

cwnorma

New to the coop!  I love the WW1 bullion badges - as each is unique in some way.  This one is an interesting American-made wing.  I arbitrarily have labeled it the "elbow" style for the elbow-shaped shoulder on each wing (I know, not very imaginative, I am open to a better naming convention...).  This wing is, to my eye at least, a bit unlovely.  They are not very deeply padded and the bullion work appears a bit chunky.  It is nonetheless a badge that was worn proudly by Reserve Military Aviators:

Elbow.jpg.d7e30cb6f965e1f60dcdab84ec781d13.jpg

The badge appears to have had the coils neatly removed from the upper, outboard portions of each wing.  This may have been done during its period of original wear if the coils got snagged on something.  There also appears to be a small section of coil missing from the bottom of the shield.

I previously posted the somewhat similar badge below.  

It belonged to a Captain who became the Engineering Officer of Ellington Field (and later the 2nd Reserve Wing at Park Place, Houston).  The Captain learned to fly in Houston, and spent the entire war there.  His uniform was also tailored in Houston.  Both badges are similarly trimmed.  While the evidence is slim and somewhat circumstantial, I suspect this style badge may be generally associated with eastern Texas, Louisiana and possibly Alabama:

IMG_0422.JPG.246df4f59daf2c81ef37268516eefe86.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG.13dd3931286d34ca316a8b1a05872458.JPG     697863303_Little-1.jpg.763c14618f35903910540114d7a311dc.jpg

Chris