Recent group of USAF Fighter Squadron patches

Siamundo

I was very happy to luck into this small group of vintage Air Force patches recently.  Was even more happy when they arrived in the mail and there were half dozen or so added in that were not originally pictured. Haven't been able to ID the flying pig "A" Flight patch. Have been looking on the militarypatches and usafpatches website but no luck yet. I think the small blue square is a specialty Civil Air Patrol insignia, but I don't know what the specialty is. No details were available if these all came from the same vet, or if just items collected by someone in the late 50's early 60's maybe at or around Seymour Johnson Air Force Base since a few seem to be from there.

DSC05219.JPG

DSC05218.JPG

A Flight is one I have not seen before. But, most likely it refers to one of the Republic series of aircraft. The F-84 was called the Hog, the F-84F was the Super Hog, and the F-105 the Ultra Hog. This was due to their very long takeoff runs, requiring much more runway than their contemporaries. It could match to any of the units depicted in your group though. That is a great group!

Randy

Thank you Randy. I was unaware of the Hog nicknames for those aircraft-I learned something new today. I thought it might just have something to do with the old expression of 'when pigs fly....'

Here's a couple that fit the theme. The Super Hog was used by the 562 FBS when they flew the F-84F in France. The Usual Hog is a play on the F-105 arrowhead patches like the ones you just got. This is from the 7 TFS in Germany. Both are German made.

562fbs f84f.jpg

7tfs f105 hog.jpg