Surgical Cap 1967

mikie

I got this in yesterday from fishing the 'bay.  Cap, Operating, Surgical with a 1967 contract date.  I didn't see anything like it on the forum so am documenting it here for future reference.   It perfectly fits my three current collecting criteria.  It is something different, it was cheap and it doesn't take up much space.  

The dealer made an error on my order and also gave me a 1983 contact cap.  Despite the age difference, they look basically identical to me.  

I'd love to see more medical items on the forum.  Post 'em if you've got 'em.

Mikie

Surg Cap 1.jpg

Surg Cap 2.jpg

Surg Cap 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, now that's really cool!  I'd love to have one of those - I don't suppose you have an extra for sale?

My dad was an OR Nurse in Vietnam.  He was there during Tet in 1968...  Here's a photo of him wearing the exact same cap I'm sure while he's scrubbing in for a surgery!

-Derek

Kva0nJ3.jpg

On 3/20/2021 at 8:24 AM, viking73 said:

Wow, now that's really cool!  I'd love to have one of those - I don't suppose you have an extra for sale?

My dad was an OR Nurse in Vietnam.  He was there during Tet in 1968...  Here's a photo of him wearing the exact same cap I'm sure while he's scrubbing in for a surgery!

-Derek

Kva0nJ3.jpg

Hi Derek. The dealer made up for his error by shipping me 2 of the 1967 caps besides the 1983 one. PM me your address and I'd be happy to honor your Dad by sending you one. 

Regards,

Mikie

Mikie - Wow, that's very cool of you to do so.  PM inbound.

Here's a few more shots, don't want to hijack this thread.  Like I mentioned, my dad was an OR Nurse for 22 years.  He was assigned to the 22nd MUST, Phu Bai, Vietnam from December 1967 - December 1968.  He came over on a navy ship (USNS Upshur) when the hospital unit was set up in Phu Bai.  I've got over 100 slides he took while there.  I just wish he was still around to caption them for me as he never really talked about this service Vietnam much, just a few stories here and there.  I only saw these slides once when I was maybe 12 or 13 - way too young to ask anything important...

I do have some items of his from Vietnam.  I have his engraved zippo, a fatigue cap with a subdued 44th Medical Brigade patch, and a boonie hat he had monogramed for my mom in-country.

-Derek

qQYlZqa.jpg

4ddjuAc.jpg

GSRGOo9.jpg

sxLD6lZ.jpg

On 3/25/2021 at 1:21 AM, mikie said:

Hi Derek. The dealer made up for his error by shipping me 2 of the 1967 caps besides the 1983 one. PM me your address and I'd be happy to honor your Dad by sending you one. 

Regards,

Mikie

Mikie,

This is very nice of you! You are awesome!

...Kat

On 3/25/2021 at 7:22 AM, viking73 said:

Mikie - Wow, that's very cool of you to do so.  PM inbound.

Here's a few more shots, don't want to hijack this thread.  Like I mentioned, my dad was an OR Nurse for 22 years.  He was assigned to the 22nd MUST, Phu Bai, Vietnam from December 1967 - December 1968.  He came over on a navy ship (USNS Upshur) when the hospital unit was set up in Phu Bai.  I've got over 100 slides he took while there.  I just wish he was still around to caption them for me as he never really talked about this service Vietnam much, just a few stories here and there.  I only saw these slides once when I was maybe 12 or 13 - way too young to ask anything important...

I do have some items of his from Vietnam.  I have his engraved zippo, a fatigue cap with a subdued 44th Medical Brigade patch, and a boonie hat he had monogramed for my mom in-country.

-Derek

Great pictures of your Dad.

...Kat