Hoffman Swivel Holster Examples

The 1872 pattern holster is a Civil War Holster extensively modified at Watervliet Arsenal.  The swivel arrangement was devised by Captain William Hoffman and patented by him on April 18, 1865 patent number 47,303 and he received 5 cents royalty for each application of his patent.  This holster example from my collection is in the thread 1870's display picture on the mannequin.  Then the following examples round out the Hoffman Swivel holster evolution which was stopped with the 1878/79 holster

1. 1874 Prototype Pattern Swivel Holster is newly manufactured not altered from civil war holster

2. 1874 Prototype Pattern Swivel Holster from a modified Civil War holster.  Probably one of a kind.

3. 1874 Pattern Swivel Holster for the Colt Single Action Army revolver as manufactured at Watervliet Arsenal. Very Rare -One of only two known holsters.   

Holsters 1-3 were only for the Colt Single Action Army Revolver.  Holsters 4-5 were for either the Colt Single Action Army Revolver or the S&W Schofield Revolver as the 1875 Ordnance Tag states.

4  1875 Prototype Pattern Swivel Holster with documentation.  Note the wider body and lack of US embossing.  Attached is the Ordnance Department hang tags which allowed positive                identification of the pattern holster of 1875.

5.  1875 Pattern Swivel Holster which has had the belt loop staked with two rivets to prevent swiveling.

You can see from the second picture how the swivel range changed through the process.   As you can imagine a soldier riding all out in a chase of the Indians and his swivel holster turn upside down and flap open and loosing his revolver.  This did happen more than not.  Example number 5 took care of the problem.

719677421_Hoffmanswivelholsterexamples.jpg.5d7dd42e0ca1ccf4245fd7e9b581a149.jpg

1636702612_Hoffmanswivelholsterexamples1.jpg.d62301a6d577360cfa3580acf5140c54.jpg

1073104883_Hoffmanswivelholsterexamples2.jpg.1b5b8f76154c40904941cebe5c088432.jpg

1653407566_Hoffmanswivelholsterexamples3.jpg.f27c8cefe8f18a5b19f60bfed57c028e.jpg

Very impressive display of the Hoffman Patent swivel evolution! To be honest, I knew there were US arsenally made swivel holsters prior to the model M-1912 but I tried to confine myself to only studying them as that was the era of my collection. I had to pull out my copy of Scott Meadows' book when I read your post here just to help sort out what you are showing us. That Ordnance Dept. hang tag looks just like the one shown on p.97 of his book, is it? No matter. So each of these appears to have some degree of swivel limit by the brass pins on the swivel, correct? I'm trying to figure out why anyone (Capt. Hoffman) would have designed a swivel with 360 deg. of rotation in the first place? Cost? Expediency? Just wonder why he thought that might work ok; not a criticism of his idea.  The evolution of the flap design is very interesting too. I need to read the book somemore on that too. Thanks for posting these rare and little seen items, another interesting area of US history about which I knew little.

Steve

Yes, through the process the pin was relocated to restrict the swivel.  I think the concept had positives.   While walking on foot or on horse back not a lot of issue but with the weight of the revolver and running or galloping over uneven terrain the holster would definitely swivel in ways you wished it had not.  

Yes the 1875 ordnance holster you asked about was in his collection previously and photographed in the book.  

The best news for the US Cavalry is it had a short life.  

So at some point, I assume the Hoffman Patent expired but I saw a few other swivel holsters in the Meadows book for Colt SAA's and some .38 cal. revolvers and eventually the M-1912 holster. Did any other patents exist or did the arsenals and others just copy the basic  Hoffman design?  Last question-did the swivel holster become obsolete with the horse cavalry, or were later models ever made by an arsenal for ease of sitting in vehicles? I saw one example on p.378 made by a private mfg. but none by an arsenal.  Thanks,

Steve

Similar concept but different patterns on the holsters you are questioning for .38 or .45 automatic  or .45 Double Actions.    My understanding the Hoffman Swivel ended with the 1875 pattern.

• 2 years later...

A lesson learned through experimental archeology:  One Significant issue related to the use of the Hoffman Swivel is indeed the loss of the weapon, especially for mounted personell, not from the rotation of the holster (although this can happen) but, because the swivel itself represents a weak point and can break.  I know of one instance where this occurred for a re-enactor on a trail ride at the Little Bighorn several years ago. The good news is that he did manage to find his revolver after a lengthy search. Securing the belt loop with at least one rivet was a common fix for this problem.

On 1/9/2024 at 4:54 PM, Skytroop said:

A lesson learned through experimental archeology:  One Significant issue related to the use of the Hoffman Swivel is indeed the loss of the weapon, especially for mounted personell, not from the rotation of the holster (although this can happen) but, because the swivel itself represents a weak point and can break.  I know of one instance where this occurred for a re-enactor on a trail ride at the Little Bighorn several years ago. The good news is that he did manage to find his revolver after a lengthy search. Securing the belt loop with at least one rivet was a common fix for this problem.

It amazes me that in this day and age people are so stupid as to use original 100+ year old leather in such outdoor activities. I recall a similar story in Wyoming in the 1960's where a 'living historian' / reenactor had a nice US martial Colt 45 in I believe a Hoffman swivel holster. His cohorts strongly urged him not to use it on their ride but he insisted. Well during the ride the rig got detached - as predicted - and despite much searching was never located. Granted, the rig was not a ton of money in the 1960's, but today..... So somewhere out on the range is a great rusty relic that, when found, should conjure up all sorts of frontier stories....... 

Case in point. The holster in question was a new reproduction!  NOT an original.