US Marine Corps Panorama Nov19, 1918

I Hate Moths

I Hate Moths

Automatic Rifle School, United States Marines.

Captain C. O. Henry Chief Instructor.

Quantico, Va. Nov19th, 1918

The favorite of my panoramas. It measures about 8x48.

I have it hanging above my computer. I never tire from looking at it.

974999342_AutomaticRifleSchoolNov191918(1).jpg.55b95e087af9609ea164d0add90d6dd1.jpg

1952005304_AutomaticRifleSchoolNov191918(2).jpg.7b188694d0a2c800615042e8770471d6.jpg

1475172685_AutomaticRifleSchoolNov191918(3).jpg.5415603ecaa9e7fc97216ff97a2cba06.jpg

1714831599_AutomaticRifleSchoolNov191918(4).jpg.f7e4fd22de2b8c8bc9ffece798efaeb0.jpg

While seeing the large number of BARs is pretty cool, you have to be IMPRESSED by the number of students in the photo who had qualified as Expert. I do not think that many collectors can fully appreciate just how TOUGH it was to qualify as a rifle expert back in the day. I would assume that the best shots going through boot camp were skimmed off the top of their respective classes to head to BAR school- the best shots with the most deadly firepower.

Thank you for sharing this awesome photo.

Allan

Allan - easy to see why that is your favorite.  Simply spectacular.  

On your comment regarding difficulty qualifying as expert, it seems you believe it was more challenging 100 years ago. I would be curious to learn more about that.  

Wonderful photo! It gives new meaning to the old adage " Katy, BAR the door! Ha!  Would you mind sharing the photographers info, I can't quite make it out? Thanks for posting this. Also, are there train cars in the background? Seems several of the Quantico photos I've seen were taken in the same area of the base. Thanks,

Steve

I Hate Moths
6 hours ago, GWS said:

Wonderful photo! It gives new meaning to the old adage " Katy, BAR the door! Ha!  Would you mind sharing the photographers info, I can't quite make it out? Thanks for posting this. Also, are there train cars in the background? Seems several of the Quantico photos I've seen were taken in the same area of the base. Thanks,

Steve

The photographer 

H. L. Woodward

700 9th St. N.W.

Washington, D.C.

No train cars in the background

Tom

1195005671_AutomaticRifleSchoolNov191918(5).jpg.4ce7ea4c3d3faaec6d6b76e3a6dd1e7f.jpg

Thanks for clarifying both points. Now I see the buildings in the background!   A lot of photographers frequented Quantico during and after the war. Just wondered if this was a name I had seen before. Again, excellent photo.  Thanks.

Steve

The Rooster

Great Photos ! And everyone in them was fortunate that the war ended while they were in school !

On 3/6/2021 at 9:56 AM, Blacksmith said:

Allan - easy to see why that is your favorite.  Simply spectacular.  

On your comment regarding difficulty qualifying as expert, it seems you believe it was more challenging 100 years ago. I would be curious to learn more about that.  

Maybe because they qualified shooting at greater range than we do in more recent times ?

When I was in basic .. close to 40 years ago now.. i shot sharp shooter. It took 4 years in the guard shooting the M16a1 before I started shooting expert.

There was a definite trick and feel to shooting the M16a1 that was beyond having a good zero on your sights. Especially at 300 Meters.

I did not think it was easy. That is until I finally got the hang of it, it got a bit easier. We qualified twice a year. Never shot a BAR but I did qualify with the M60 MG

and I found it much easier to qualify expert with than the M16A1. Dont know why that was exactly either. My zero on the M60 was 24 clicks up on the rear sight nothing right or left.

My zero on the 16 was 12 up 2 left.

That zero is good to this day on any AR set up with Iron sights like the M16A1.

Or if I ever had a repro M16A1 upper, I would dial in the 12 Up on the front post and 2 left on the back sights and I would have my szero.

My DI told us to remember it (The zero setting) and it would not change no matter what M16 we picked up.

We could set the sights to that and be zeroed.

He was right.

The Rooster

I think the reason  M60 was easier to shoot accurately than the M16 was because it was heavy like a BAR and had a Bipod

on the front just like the BAR which really helped steady the aim. The front of a heavy weapon resting on the Bipod vs a light rifle steadied in your arms and hands.

The BAR is Prob much the same fired from the prone using the Bipod.