Kinney Company of Providence, RI: examples and patterns

Whilst not a pair of wings per se, nevetheless, this bracelet does feature a miniature representation of some as an integral part of its design, hence its inclusion here.

post-8022-1272205902.jpg post-8022-1272205913.jpg

Sabrejet

Sabrejet said:
Hi Rustywings. "Kinney Company"? Were they known for being makers of military jewellery? Never encountered the name before.

Sabrejet :think:

Hello Sabrejet,

According to J. Duncan Campbell's book, the Kinney Company of Providence, Rhode Island, produced U.S. wing badges between the wars (1919 to 1939). They produced highly detailed insignia which rival the Luxenberg and Blackinton designs. The identical hallmark on your bracelet can be found on 1920's era full size Airship, Balloon and Pilot badges. I've also seen the Kinney Company hallmark on a man's ring and a tie bar. They apparently made a variety of civilian jewelry and military insignia.

Russ

• 1 year later...

This badge showed up in a local estate auction recently, and I wanted to show it off. It is backmarked with the Kinney & Co logo over the word Sterling. It is accompanied by the original display card, which is printed with the Kinney logo. It measures 3-3/16" wide. Feel free to message me for more information.

post-50873-1311374543.jpg

I love the feather details! Would you post a photo of the backside? I am not familiar with the Kenney hallmark. Great looking wing! :thumbsup:

I love the feather details! Would you post a photo of the backside? I am not familiar with the Kenney hallmark. Great looking wing! :thumbsup:

Happy to oblige. Here is the back.

post-50873-1311427026.jpg

Cool, I have a pin that has that mark and could never figure out what the smiley face looking thing was. :blink: Now with the picture of the hallmark on the card it makes since. :lol:

Thanks!

:twothumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
wartimecollectables.com

A fine feather detailed full sized AAF pilot wing. Looks like and unmarked Blackington pattern? Nice wing!

post-93-1313352243.jpg

Hello Andrew,

It looks like a nice interwar-period Pilot badge made by Kinney Company, Providence, R.I.

Nice find!

Russ

Hello Andrew,

It looks like a nice interwar-period Pilot badge made by Kinney Company, provenance, R.I.

Nice find!

Russ

I agree, seems like a nice early wing.

BUT... I believe that Kinney Company actually used Blackinton for their wings? I think Cliff had some interesting thoughts on that thought.

• 3 months later...

I assume that this neat little bracelet was intended as a sweetheart? Its diameter is such that it must have designed for a female wrist. The wings are beautifully detailed. The reference to the Air Corps may be an indication of its approximate date?

post-8022-1322138995.jpgpost-8022-1322139024.jpg

Thanks Shawn...it's because I saw yours a few days ago. Reminded me I had one tucked away somewhere. This is it!

Ian :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

I initially had some interest in this ebay listing as well. But upon very close inspection of the reverse, you can barely see a chain-loop just above the pin hinge. That loop is usually indicative of a sweetheart piece. I suspect a two inch gilt chain with an anchor or some other type of small Navy medallion was originally attached to this otherwise nice Kinney Company made piece. Who knows if it was or wasn't worn at some time on a Navy overseas cap...but I don't believe it was made with that intention.

Russ

$(KGrHqFHJBEFEiigGB75BRNPHyECgg~~60_571.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

guys, i know this is a premium item however dont know if its good. i know kinney made them but, when it comes to the rear caution has to be taken. in any event it can be yours for 2,950.00 on a buy it now from you pay. the feathering just doesn't look crisp enough to me--- detail isn't there.

post-73-0-54495300-1364059499.jpg

post-73-0-26389400-1364059555.jpg

post-73-0-14151300-1364059600.jpg

5thwingmarty

I know the seller and this is genuine. He picked up a better one at this years SOS for quite a bit more than he is selling this one for.