What where these used for ?

SFC

My guess would be for training sailors (and members of the other services) to recognize the various uniforms, ranks, rates and ratings, etc.

They look like paper toy soldiers from the 40's. During WWII toymakers unable to get lead or other metals turned to paper, wood products and other materials for war toys.

Thanks all for your opinion.

I tend to agree it's some kind of toy from the 40's,and as you can see here they are printed on both side

post-3009-1233289597.jpg

post-3009-1233289612.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1233308686.jpg

Hi Henrik, looking more at the cut-outs of ships I think they appear to be more like toys in their design. The cut-out figures could also be toys.

I initially thought that the figures may be recruiting store window display especially with the rank grades being on them. Above I have attached a photograph of one of my cardboard cut-outs which definitely was a recruiting display and not a toy.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1233319803.jpg

That's a neat piece Lewis, how tall is it?

Hi Tino, I think it's about 20 inches tall, I have a couple of other Marine poses.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Thanks all for your opinion.

I tend to agree it's some kind of toy from the 40's,and as you can see here they are printed on both side

Yes Toys. All toys during the War years were wood or pressed paper. Used to have some of those in Army figures but were lost over the years. But when your young and the new Tin toys came out. Robert