OD Webbed Name Tape?

Lo var Lachland

Lo var Lachland

Hey all.

Recently acquired some OD Webbed nametape through a third-party military supplier for my M81 BDU tunic for reenacting purposes. I got the standard "U.S. ARMY" tape and my last (pseudo) name. When I was doing some test-fitting (just placing the folded tape over the tunic) not only did the color look incorrect, I started wondering how standardized "webbed" nametape actually was historically. So I checked a cold-weather jacket I own that belonged to a prior owner, and the tape on the jacket was not webbed and appeared to be more of a nylon-design. I know that the discoloration could come from the lighting in the room, but it had looked weird ever since I got it in the mail. 

I really have a few questions when it comes to this.

1. Is it common for the color of OD webbed tape to be an almost pink color? It doesn't feel like the CIB and the tape should have different colorization.
2. How common was it for webbed nametape to be issued/sewn-onto uniforms and what were the dates if so?

3. (And slightly off topic) Is the standard for folding/sizing insignia & tape 1/8th inch away from the edges of the print to the edge of the actual fabric itself? My CIB feels too large for some reason and I measured 1/8th from all four sides.

1183272254_ScreenShot2021-03-02at9_00_42PM.png.d1fbc6063346a0c6a070d03699ac3f46.png

Sorry if I sound incompetent, insignia isn't really my forté and I wanted to get some external advice before sewing this stuff on.
I also apologize if this is in the wrong section/sub-section, there are so many categories that this seemed like the best place. Please move it if it isn't correct and let me know.

Thanks all.

-Lachland

1. Is it common for the color of OD webbed tape to be an almost pink color? It doesn't feel like the CIB and the tape should have different colorization.

In the modern era you can see slight shade differences by the maker, in the Vietnam era mostly TAPES made In Country, this due really to poor dyes.

2. How common was it for webbed name tape to be issued/sewn-onto uniforms and what were the dates if so?

Web U.S. ARMY Tape and their matching NAME Tape, were are not a Issue Insignia, the only tape that was sewn to a shirt was back in the late 50s into the early 80s, and these were the Yellow on Black Woven Rayon U.S. ARMY Tape and later 1968 the Subdued Woven Nylon U.S. ARMY Tape, these were sewn on by a Quartermaster Requirement, these were also sewn on to Field Jackets and the OG Wool Shirt. The Issue NAME Tapes in those days were the Black Stamped White Web NAME Tape, embroidered NAME Tapes on white Web or other White cloth was a private purchase item via the PX, the PX usually, ditto the 1966-1968 OD Web Stamped NAME Tapes, after 1968 a Subdued Nylon Ribbed Tape was used with the Subdued Woven Nylon U.S. ARMY Tape.

3. (And slightly off topic) Is the standard for folding/sizing insignia & tape 1/8th inch away from the edges of the print to the edge of the actual fabric itself? My CIB feels too large for some reason and I measured 1/8th from all four sides.

In actual practice Tapes and Qualification and Skill Badges are folded and sewn down in a few various ways, the way you have it is just fine.

Lo var Lachland
12 minutes ago, patches said:

the only tape that was sewn to a shirt was back in the late 50s into the early 80s

This answer confuses me because you make it sound like after the 1980s the US Army no longer used sewn tape, which doesn't seem correct considering I'm currently staring at a field jacket from 1988 with sewn tapes.

Thanks for the answer about the webbing, I'll look for some correct nylons when I get the chance.

8 minutes ago, Lo var Lachland said:

This answer confuses me because you make it sound like after the 1980s the US Army no longer used sewn tape, which doesn't seem correct considering I'm currently staring at a field jacket from 1988 with sewn tapes.

Thanks for the answer about the webbing, I'll look for some correct nylons when I get the chance.

Embroidered White Web or other White Cloth NAME Tapes from the mid 50s mid 60s,and the Mid 60s on Embroidered OD  Web Tapes, both U.S. ARMY and NAME Tapes were made up at PXs as a private purchase by soldiers so inclined. they are not issued. When you go through the linked topics you will see what we are talking about, granted it takes a bit of study, but you'll get the range.