Tribute to my g-grandfather, a Kentucky farmboy turned 89th ID doughboy; severely gassed near Thiaucourt

36thIDAlex

Hey all, today I thought I would finally share a personal project I have been working on for quite some time. This is the group and tribute for my great-grandfather Private Joseph “Ezra” Drury who served with 1st Platoon, E Company, 356th IR, of the 89th ID for a total of 10 days on the frontline until a mustard gas shell landed in the middle of his platoon, killing a dozen instantly while gassing Ezra and 60 of his comrades who had never even seen a German soldier in direct combat.

Ezra was born into the Drury family on 8 May 1889 in the rural Kentucky farming community of Big Clifty, Grayson County, Kentucky. The Drury family had plowed the fields of Grayson County for three generations dating back to the first arrival of his great-grandfather in 1801. Ezra was a middle of ten siblings and spent the first many years of his life in school and helping to run his family farm, one of many Drury farms in the area. While news was always somewhat slower in Grayson County circles, the rumors of war nonetheless swirled amongst them and its potential impact on the farmers was widely debated. On 6 April 1917 Ezra was doing his typical farm work when the news of a declaration of war hit the town. As the farms were now highly needed to maintain food supplies for soldiers overseas and the citizens left at home, he first decided to stay home, granted a draft exemption, and focused on helping the family in these new circumstances. The time for work, however, was not permanent and after receiving his draft notice, enlisted into the United State Army on 24 June 1918.

29 years old upon enlistment, Ezra trained at Camp Zachary Taylor in Louisville, one of the largest military camps in the nation. He was assigned as a rifleman in D Company of the 156th Infantry Regiment, 39th Infantry Division and eventually hopped aboard the S.S. President Grant in August to join the unit “over there.” By the time Ezra reached France in September the 39th had been designated as a depot and replacement division, meaning the soldiers in her ranks would be separated and divvied out to frontline units depleted in the American offensives. Following the order, Ezra was quickly reassigned to his combat unit, 1st Platoon, E Company, 356th Infantry Regiment, 89th Infantry Division. The 89th suffered heavy casualties in the September St. Mihiel offensive and Ezra joined a wave of replacements sent to help them replenish their companies. Ezra arrived on the 25th along with 93 other replacements from the 39th ID to help secure the E Company frontline positions in Benney Wood (notice how many had to be sent to understand the damage done to just a single company during the St. Mihiel offensive). Artillery was frequent and accurate and many nights were spent huddled together in their shallow trenches hoping to avoid the shrapnel. On 3 October they relieved the 78th ID near Thiaucourt and took up the line of resistance along with F and G company.

On the evening of 5 October E company was given orders to move back towards regimental reserve about 1-2 kilometers behind the main line. Movement commenced in the dark as the men searched for a place to rest and spend the night, arriving around 2300 to a field depot where they were greeted by hot meals. Afterwards the men continued moving towards their position, the small woods of Bois du Fey, when they began to smell mustard gas. An NCO sent forward to investigate discovered a strong presence of gas in the area and thus decided the company should camp on the southern hillside until they could move again in daylight. At 0430 that morning the German artillery began a large shelling of the 89th Division line firing several thousand artillery rounds, about ⅓ of them gas, in creeping barrages leading from the frontline to the rear echelon areas. The doughboys of E company were aroused by the blasts but remained foggy in the early morning hours. Shells began landing closer and closer to the company, traveling up a ravine between the two hills as the soldiers watched in vain. In the span of a blink the world of the company was turned into one of death and destruction as a 155mm German mustard gas shell landed directly in the middle of the 1st Platoon area, sending Ezra and other GIs flying and rolling away as several of his platoon-mates were torn to pieces by the explosion.

The impact was brutal. The creeping barrage meant that along with the mustard gas shell, arsene rounds landed within their vicinity. A less lethal gas, arsene was primarily used as a skin irritant to cause scratching and itching in anticipation of mustard gas shells which then killed the doughboys who could not stand to put on a gas mask due to the irritation. In the situation of Ezra and his company this was compounded by the fact of how many replacements made up the unit. Large quantities of mustard gas enveloped the area in seconds and the wood was painted by the thick yellow mist. Ezra, like many of the other newbies, jumped up in a panic, running around attempting to find cover from the sudden attack. Eventually he was able to find a small hole in which he jumped and buried his face in the ground. The desperate attempt was not enough, however, and the thick acidic mustard gas wrapped around him and began entering his lungs. In shock from the blast, many of the replacements failed to effectively or entirely put on their gas masks and unit discipline dissolved into a frugal scramble for survival. Several officers began to take charge of the situation attempting to drag out the wounded and give aid to the gassed, but they too fell victim to the gas within a matter of minutes.

Eventually the gas dissipated and company medics were able to stabilize the surviving soldiers. Ezra suffered burns to his skin and face and severe inhalation of the mustard gas caused large amounts of damage to his lungs and throat. In total the company suffered 13 dead, 22 wounded, and almost 60 gassed, Ezra amongst the most severe due to his proximity to the shell landing directly in his platoon’s part of the line. He had only been with the unit for ten days. E company was not the only hit that night, however, and several of her sister companies still on the front line suffered even greater casualties from the bombing. Trucks arrived and brought all the gassed to a field hospital and Ezra proceeded to more intensive care at a French hospital in St. Aignan, spending the next six months recovering from his wounds until his lungs had healed enough for him to confidently move under his own power. On 4 March 1919 he joined several hundred other survivors from the hospital and boarded the battleship U.S.S South Carolina to begin the trek home.

Ezra returned to his farm about a month later and put up his uniform and equipment for a final time. His homecoming was not celebratory as both his parents had caught the Spanish Flu and passed away within two weeks of his return home. As the oldest son who could inherit the property (his two older brothers joined the Xavien catholic brotherhood in Louisville), Ezra took over the work for the farm and remained unmarried for several years, running it with his younger siblings until he found a wife in 1930. As WWII appeared on the horizon, Ezra, the signature family veteran, warned all his siblings and family members about the horrors they may face. Only his younger brother Edward ended up serving, but took his advice and enlisted early enough to get a nice comfortable job teaching cooking the entire war at Camp Lee, Virginia. Eventually Ezra was able to retire, letting his own son take over the farm, and lived to the ripe age of 100 where he passed away in peace amongst the rolling hills and forests of Grayson County, untainted by the yellow mist of the French hillside he once rested upon.

The story of Ezra’s military items is lost to the family although my dad does remember playing in his uniform when he was little. Last year we were able to visit the Grayson County clerk who gave us Ezra’s discharge paper and from that we requested both his replacement medals from the Army which now rest in the riker mount along with several photos of him during and right after his service. The helmet is an original and the uniform as well, but the latter was restored by myself to represent the one he wore while overseas. It has been an absolute pleasure to research and learn this story of my family history especially because he talked very little about it to my father or anyone else in the family. Thankfully I was able to piece together the story from company records, postwar gas reports, maps, and other accounts so that I can fully preserve the story of sacrifice from my own blood on a French hillside so many thousand miles away from the quiet family farm he had known his entire life prior.

d059a789beb156c20d25ce9c9b40a22c.jpeg

c99a8050dadd886194c335331dc2007e.jpg

53e742df09805316420d883b271a7344.jpeg

255cade7a0ddfb3835360ebce2eae4a5.jpeg

937c9de38c6e5af3d86ad581d6426fbe.jpeg

ab742f867c8e70467a483bf504ccb195.jpeg

90b532fe1b18863b3d69b29895587766.jpeg

55b9a1d124e617ead826c5a2b7ce7d3c.jpeg

52693baabb86c340ed6779f89daffe24.jpeg

f6035f36342bf6c0a0607cdc2af66aef.jpeg

Photos of him prior to shipping overseas

0b2a290e7db570267db0ed889d9b9acf.jpeg

d77780e5041176fea574ca7ba36f4237.jpeg
89th men marching to the front

542f25d85ac846e0b94d7c25f6cd8f5e.jpeg
Digging in

71b49c5ccc7490dc81389f17f355fd01.jpeg
Location where my grandfather was gassed compared to the 89th main line

603c9fc997338b7805ac0ffffcb3fbdb.jpeg
178th Brigade doughboys on the line

b06c272126dfc2272b158e88100a483b.jpeg
1917 aerial recon photo showing Bois du Fey and the exact hill my grandfather was gassed on

8c980a70687c4433804854a8baf4961a.jpeg
89th medics with the wounded

4bb32e9ce245a5d0d1218e51df970463.jpeg
A temporary hospital set up for gas victims of the 89th ID that October

3b5ce996b6ace5cf14b12005643b807a.jpeg
Transport records

89edd10fa8f998918cd2c20e73e60df4.jpg
My current display

728001664846147782c72e4e73b6ec44.jpg

aerialbridge

Great ancestry military tribute post, something you can be very proud of.    Thanks for posting.

Radio Operator

You've done an exemplary job researching and putting together the story of your great-grandfather. From doing my own research on the 89th in that same period I know that a lot of the information is scattered around the internet, so to see this all pieced together is amazing. Your display and photos are clean and show off the information well too. 

Hookemhorns88

Looks like a labor of love.  Nicely and thoroughly researched.  The display of material is fanstastic.

Amazing job, love how you put together the story and I LOVE the display and the uniform! Super nice! Very nice display all around! Your Grampa would be proud!

Thanks all for the nice comments! Once we found his records and began putting the story together piece by piece I knew I wanted to put this all together for display. I usually stick to WWII but having such a strong family connection with such a detailed story, it was just a joy to do. Glad you all can enjoy it and the history!