What a buck buys...

doyler

Charlie Flick

Yes, a very cool pic.  This being 1975 I wonder if it depicts one of the last days before the NVA showed up with the ARVN retreating in disarray and many in the South panicking.

I think the revolver is more likely a .38 Special S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, a K-frame gun.  That was the standard sidearm of the USAF at the time so it would not surprise me if VNAF personnel were so armed.

Just as interesting is the tall, grey haired white guy with the Sansabelt pants and white shoes.  He is dressed  like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack.  Is he a diplomat, CIA, USAID or just some guy looking for directions to the golf course?  He is walking next to a Vietnamese civilian with a Samsonite attache case that is overstuffed and bulging with ..... what?  Cash?  Gold?  A Swedish K? 

This photo is sorta like a Rohrshach test.   "I'm going to be showing you a series of photos and I want you to tell me the first thing that comes into your mind..."

Charlie

On 11/5/2021 at 5:19 PM, Charlie Flick said:

Yes, a very cool pic.  This being 1975 I wonder if it depicts one of the last days before the NVA showed up with the ARVN retreating in disarray and many in the South panicking.

I think the revolver is more likely a .38 Special S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, a K-frame gun.  That was the standard sidearm of the USAF at the time so it would not surprise me if VNAF personnel were so armed.

Just as interesting is the tall, grey haired white guy with the Sansabelt pants and white shoes.  He is dressed  like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack.  Is he a diplomat, CIA, USAID or just some guy looking for directions to the golf course?  He is walking next to a Vietnamese civilian with a Samsonite attache case that is overstuffed and bulging with ..... what?  Cash?  Gold?  A Swedish K? 

This photo is sorta like a Rohrshach test.   "I'm going to be showing you a series of photos and I want you to tell me the first thing that comes into your mind..."

Charlie

Agree the revolver is a Model 15 Smith. Has that distinctive front site. image.png.5291029963d9ac682e0d86dd6d7240d0.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Forgot I had this picture in my collection. I met the vet in 1980-81. He sold me two sets of Tigers. Here hes wearing a set and also the vietnamese holster rig.

VNtigerLW.jpg.4dd174d3ef659d540ce87a2ac346eda1.jpg

All the guys in my fathers unit (Avn Plt HHC 1st Bde 101st Abn Div) had the same style local bought on Camp Eagle "cowboy" holsters.  Had loops on the belt and holster body for extra rounds.  Here are a couple shots of my father and then a cropped pic of another pilot in his unit.

OH-6.jpg

20210722205404_06.jpg

38rig.png

Charlie Flick
On 8/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, Woodymyster said:

4th Air Commando Squadron USAF

Great image.  I like that minigun.  What do you think the aircraft is?  An AC-130, AC-119 or something else?  With that fuselage level it does not look like an AC-47.

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Another neat shot, mohawkALSE.  Those Army aviators are probably carrying S&W Model 10, 4 inch, .38 Special revolvers.  The Army did not get the M15s as the Air Force did.

Charlie

Woodymyster

And although off topic, I like that pic I posted above of the air commandos for another reason.  Look carefully at one of their name tags and USAF tags.

• 3 months later...
On 8/6/2022 at 3:41 AM, Woodymyster said:

And although off topic, I like that pic I posted above of the air commandos for another reason.  Look carefully at one of their name tags and USAF tags.

Ops

image.png.c227907546790b19ee5f066435ae835d.png

Great photos!  Interesting that most of these are for the .38 revolver.  That tracks with the holsters I've personally seen or owned - they all have cartridge loops for the .38 Special round, not the larger .45.  The fact they were so popular with aviators probably has something to do with this.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great pic Doyler. Looks like he's carrying AK mags in the m3 mag pouch. This is definitely an interesting pic study. I can point out lots of odds right off the bat. Thanks for posting!

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2023 at 9:41 PM, doyler said:

Jerry Shriver 5th SFG  MACVSOG CCs wearing a Browning HP in a Vietnamese made holster

JerryShriver.jpg

Special holster because Jerry was left-handed. I have the same problem. Very cool photo.

W

• 2 months later...

Richard Hambley poses with a destroyed M-42 in Mang Yang Pass 1968

image.png.1c5426c85b29cbfd4e4a832b5520702f.png

Salvage Sailor

My buddy Larry, Cobra pilot, KIA November 1969

CWO2LawrenceJosephBabyakinfrontofhisCobrawearinghisscarlet19thGunbandana.jpg.6d9f2cbe82cf84b065750777af03055a.jpg

LawrenceJBabyak002Sabre22.jpeg.226357cfa7fb771279e4c360c2161025.jpeg

TheRedBravoTroop19Cobra.jpg.5dc21df390e8d091be86ab3d3383691d.jpg

LawrenceJBabyak003.jpg.3862a9368ddd473769a0c1c6a2659d15.jpg