Infantry Equipment to be returned to family.

Doug Lewis

Hello I am new on the site, I hail from England and I hope this forum can give me some help.  My family have been in the possession of an American ceremonial sword and scabbard for as long as I can remember, I do not know where it came from, and why my family should end up with it. My parents have died and it has come into my possession and I would love to return it to the family it belongs.

On the handle of the sword it reads " Presented to Captain George Myers by the members of Co. K. 12th Infantry N.G. N.Y Nov 12th 1900"   on the other part of the hand guard is the American Eagle with flags.  Please can the members on here point me in the right direction as to how I may contact the family, I am sure they would like to get this back.

Doug Lewis

I'll take a look in the morning and see if I can get a lead on Capt. Myers for you!

Hi! Anyway you can post a picture of the inscription, in particular? It would really help to see it! :)

Here is what I am finding . . . Plow through! The man on your sword died in 1903 at the young age of 1931. 

MARRIAGE ANNOUNCEMENT

Marriage.JPG

NEW YORK MILITARY CARD:

NY Military Service Card.jpg

Corps of Artillery Roster 2.JPG

Corps of Artillery Roster.JPG

OBITUARY:

Obit.JPG

The_Standard_Union_Tue__Feb_17__1903_   Obit.jpg

More coming . . . 

Here is some family info coming down, so you can see some more current relatives:

This is him:

Family tree one.JPG

Doing a Google search for Elisabeth De Stroumillo gives lots of results. Even a Wikipedia page.

This is the Daughter's Son (Elisabeth's brother):

image.png

I would definitely try searching online to find obits for Elisabeth and her brother and try and find their kids' names! 

Here is an obit for Alexander Michael De Stroumillo, Jr.'s wife, and it lists three kids:

image.png

I'd give a shot at the son Michael being a Michael Alexander De Stroumillo. Try searching on google for that name, and you can see him on business sites and I think even on Instagram. 

The best bet for finding the children of Elisabeth (the other side of the family in this search) would be that long obit in the Telegraph. Perhaps you have or know someone who has access to the online Telegraph?

Wow, your a star Elizabeth, so much information, good detective work there, I really appreciate your time your spending on this, when I do eventually track down the relatives it will then be finding a safe way to send the sword.

Regards,

Doug.

17 hours ago, stratasfan said:

Here is what I am finding . . . Plow through! The man on your sword died in 1903 at the young age of 1931. 

MARRIAGE ANNOUNCEMENT

Marriage.JPG

NEW YORK MILITARY CARD:

NY Military Service Card.jpg

Corps of Artillery Roster 2.JPG

Corps of Artillery Roster.JPG

OBITUARY:

Obit.JPG

The_Standard_Union_Tue__Feb_17__1903_   Obit.jpg

More coming . . . 

So he was presented with the sword in 1900 and died in 1903 and as you say 31 so young to die.

Doug.  Elizabeth,  how easy is it to post pictures on this site, what's the drill. 

2 hours ago, Doug Lewis said:

I have private messaged Peter, thank you again Elizabeth.

Great! You've got to let me know if you hear back at all in the end! :) 

2 hours ago, Doug Lewis said:

So he was presented with the sword in 1900 and died in 1903 and as you say 31 so young to die.

Doug.  Elizabeth,  how easy is it to post pictures on this site, what's the drill. 

Capt. Myers wife's family was very social. Like in the higher social circle. Capt. Myers himself was in the social high life and was at a lot of parties and polo, etc. 

Pictures . . . very simple! Here is a screen grab showing my reply right now . . . 

image.png

Click the circled hyperlink on the left if you want to attach something from your harddrive.  If you want to insert from a url, click the "Other MEdia" button on the right.

Do you have "Snipping Tool" on your computer? (It is a Windows tool) If you have the Snipping Tool, you can snip anything on your screen and just paste (Ctrl + V) into the reply area on here and it will automatically embed it. 

Let me know if you need more instructions! It isn't hard! :) 

Once again thank you very much Elizabeth, you are very kind to look this up for me, as yet not heard back from the Peter I messaged.  I will get a photo posted up.

Thanks again,

Doug.