Middy or foreign made Commissaryman 3rd class?

PatLaabs

Picked this up today at a shop in New York. Both the owner and I weren't sure whether it was a foreign made patch or maybe for a child/woman's middy. I haven't personally ran into any foreign made rates just yet so I'm not sure what it is or if it a foreign one. 

If you look at the wings you can see they're not the same size and the keys are off centered.

20210228_213312.jpg

20210228_213315.jpg

11 hours ago, PatLaabs said:

Picked this up today at a shop in New York. Both the owner and I weren't sure whether it was a foreign made patch or maybe for a child/woman's middy. I haven't personally ran into any foreign made rates just yet so I'm not sure what it is or if it a foreign one. 

If you look at the wings you can see they're not the same size and the keys are off centered.

20210228_213312.jpg

20210228_213315.jpg

I would go with foreign made. We used to get some pretty awful looking stuff out there. But when that was the only option, you took what you could get. You got used to seeing all sorts of “Odd Looking” crows. When that horrid post 1984 Fat Surrendering Chicken” crow first came out, I thought the guys were getting their new crows from the shops in Subic. Imagine my shock to find the Navy was putting out that trash. 

4 hours ago, sigsaye said:

I would go with foreign made. We used to get some pretty awful looking stuff out there. But when that was the only option, you took what you could get. You got used to seeing all sorts of “Odd Looking” crows. When that horrid post 1984 Fat Surrendering Chicken” crow first came out, I thought the guys were getting their new crows from the shops in Subic. Imagine my shock to find the Navy was putting out that trash. 

Hm, well alright then. Thank you! That's pretty cool to have my first foreign made one. 

As for the newer crow design I hate it too. Now that I started collecting rates and have seen what they used to look like I get frustrated when I look at my dress uniforms with the modern crow. I wonder if anyone would notice if I changed it out for an older HM3 patch next uniform inspection 😆

1 hour ago, PatLaabs said:

Hm, well alright then. Thank you! That's pretty cool to have my first foreign made one. 

As for the newer crow design I hate it too. Now that I started collecting rates and have seen what they used to look like I get frustrated when I look at my dress uniforms with the modern crow. I wonder if anyone would notice if I changed it out for an older HM3 patch next uniform inspection 😆

Probably not. I was always looking for an old SMCS crow for my blues, but could never find one.