Unidentified ?Confederate Uniform

This is a copy of a photo of my greatgreat grandparents that I recently obtained. They were married in 1861 and he enlisted that same year in the confederacy. He was captured and became a POW 11/26/1863. The POW records indicate he was a private with the 35th TN Infantry, Company L. I am curious as to what type of uniform is he wearing? It almost looks like a band uniform to me. Can anyone help me identify the type of uniform?

IMG_1363.jpg

Very cool picture of them! I don't believe it is a photo, though. Charcoal portraits were a big thing back then. 

I have not seen the original yet. I have some old photos of some other ancestors that have been "touched up" by an artist and these appear to have been done the same way

It is photographic.

It is just an enlargement-- as part of the process, details were lost and then filled in by artists.  Collectors usually refer to these as charcoals-- NOT an era term.

In the era (1870s- 90s was the heyday) they were known under a variety of names depending on how they were finished (Crayon, pastel, oil, ink).

Uniform could be an early militia uniform, but probably represents what he wore when he went off to war.  Lots of similar uniforms can be found in era images.  Have you checked for other 35th TN guys online?

Scott

On 3/4/2021 at 10:48 PM, jkford said:

Scott, thanks for the information. Where can I check for other 35th TN guys on line?

I'd recommend some searching in images "35th tn infantry photos"  "35th tn infantry tintype" and the like cdv, ambrotype, albumen, etc...

Also maybe there is a reenactor group out there-- reenactor unit sites often contain era photographs or links to descendants.

Good luck.

Scott