WW2 Early Fixed Loop McCord w Captains Liner

Paddyd00

Hi Guys

Here's one from my collection. I like the look of this Steel Pot.  Its a darkened (perhaps aged perhaps handled a lot) Fixed Loop McCord 255C with a Westinghouse Liner w Captains Bars.  It lacks a strap but I found a nice Enger Kress strap that I will put on this guy.  I have quite a few painted (Numbers, Names) Navy steel pots that do not exhibit the Micro Cracking that I deem to be period no doubt but with this one the cracking is pretty obvious.  Anyway .. Thanks for looking and hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Z

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8 USE.jpg

12.jpg

12A.jpg

13.jpg

10 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Paddy,

Nice.

Was there something in white on the front of the shell at one point? Almost looks like white paint.

Dave

Good eye but I think its just regular "garage skank" as opposed to an old marking

Officers do not have laundry numbers that look like enlisted laundry numbers IE: "B-1760". As for that stuff on the front of the liner that is tape residue.

25 minutes ago, P-59A said:

Officers do not have laundry numbers that look like enlisted laundry numbers IE: "B-1760". As for that stuff on the front of the liner that is tape residue.

Its a paired set my brother

12 minutes ago, P-59A said:

Be that as it may. An Officer prefix on a laundry number would be "O-****".  Yours shows an enlisted laundry number. How do you square the round?

Yup. It does friend. Maybe in your collection you have perfect exact matches between shell and liner. This nice liner was without a steel pot. Now it has one. I have many that are a match. If I come across a nice “O” marked laundry number that’s just a solo steel pot one day. Heck. Maybe they’ll be paired together.  Until then. I’m cool with how they stand together now. Is there a problem ?

6 hours ago, P-59A said:

All good D. I think we were just talking about the “schmutz” on the Steel Pot. The Liner residue no doubt from old tape. I agree. Thank you for your observations 

Z

huntssurplus

One thing to note on this one is that officers commonly used the enlisted style of laundry number. Not uncommon to run across an Officer using the first letter of their last name (as was standard for enlisted soldiers) in their laundry number instead of the O prefix. I.e. Lieutenant Smith could use either 0-1234 or S-1234 for his laundry number. Yes regulation dictatated officers to only use the O prefix, however regulation was not always followed during WW2. 

3 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

That liner is killer ! 

Well done Paddy, cool set 

- Dean 

Thanks Dean! Appreciate it !

Z

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2021 at 1:30 PM, huntssurplus said:

One thing to note on this one is that officers commonly used the enlisted style of laundry number. Not uncommon to run across an Officer using the first letter of their last name (as was standard for enlisted soldiers) in their laundry number instead of the O prefix. I.e. Lieutenant Smith could use either 0-1234 or S-1234 for his laundry number. Yes regulation dictatated officers to only use the O prefix, however regulation was not always followed during WW2. 

I agree 100%.  This is a matching set.  No reason to think otherwise.