Flak vest, which type is this?

G-Company

Hello,

this part was found at the DZ in Groesbeek some years ago. It seems to me this is the front side of a flak vest.

But mine is not the same as all of the examples I found on the www, or on this forum. The Lift the dot fasteners are, with the text towards me, located at the front of this part of the vest. The front also lacks the holes or any sign of attached straps on that side or on the “back” side.

can anyone help me with the identification? Thanks in advance.

77EF91F8-E68F-42DD-879B-547AE1B95267.jpeg

21085285-283A-4AC5-8BE3-44E7E1D1E10E.jpeg

Without any holes for the release tapes, it would appear to be the rear half of a vest. Is its reverse side covered with corduroy fabric, or is this just the canvas side and even lacking the armor plates? Compared to the overall condition, as seen in your photo, the LTDs look pretty new. Might they have been installed (incorrectly) at some time in the past, where the original studs would have been?

Hello pararaftanr2,

thank you for the reaction, i have made some more pictures.

The Ltds are old, I hope the pictures give some answers

DE94DEBC-BD99-4D83-9FCE-C2A9E91D4705.jpeg

428E6A63-C872-4FE2-894E-9026187CB243.jpeg

4443C832-44F6-4F11-B367-15FC506CAF7C.jpeg

Looks to me like the piping is gone and perhaps the corduroy. I have two but have never seen one in pieces. Not sure if there is also canvas under the corduroy.

Yes, that helps. I see the LTDs are old. Possibly this was an inner layer of canvas that held the plates and there was a second outer later with the corduroy and the front layer of canvas with the grommets? I've never seen one taken apart before to know for certain. 

Good morning men,

thanks for the input. This is a typical way, how a flak vest (what is left of it) is found after a few years in the woods or ground in the Groesbeek heights area. This is in fact a pretty good one, normally it is totally rotten. 

I hope some one can tell us more about how a flak vest is been fabricated and where this part was placed, inside/pursued, back or front. 
Cheers

General Apathy

Hi G-company & Parafafta,

Don't know if this helps any,  it's from an article in a September 1943 copy of ' Air Force '.

.fullsizeoutput_9623.jpeg.e0284e329747929a8fe9f2ac45f1beee.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_961c.jpeg.11b517bec70acf6fa02473351b410c2b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9627.jpeg.b3c295b9afe2a56f0b08346ad6b1f263.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9626.jpeg.5e5604f853e7d2c6f5f8d4a2117e31d0.jpeg

Cheers lewis.

Thank you for the information, after reading and comparing everything I think this part has to be located at the back of a flak vest.

Still not very sure but it seems the most logical option. If anyone disagrees or has more info, please let me know.