Paper tagged M-1 liner DSA 100-73-

P-59A

I have had this for a while. Everything I have seen on this type liner indicates it came out later than 1973. Any thoughts? This was never issued and except for storage dings is in new condition.

20210227_145453.jpg

20210227_145503.jpg

20210227_145515.jpg

20210227_145536.jpg

20210227_145727.jpg

20210227_145616.jpg

Ive been reading early 70's for removable webbing and theres the tag in the liner you show..

This is the type I was issued in 1982.

5 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

Ive been reading early 70's for removable webbing and theres the tag in the liner you show..

This is the type I was issued in 1982.

I have read this type liner came out two years after the tag indicates. I was wondering if that information was incorrect or if this was for testing.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, P-59A said:

I have read this type liner came out two years after the tag indicates. I was wondering if that information was incorrect or if this was for testing.

Yeah, thats what I thought, a mid 70ss thing at the earliest.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, P-59A said:

Maybe its the date the contract was awarded 

Mark Reynosa's excellent book on the subject shows an identical label on page 63 and explains that the "initial contracts were let out on 27 October 1972" for Firestone followed by Marmac (easily identified by either the stylized F or M in the crown). Production continued until 1975.

I'm quoting this book, these aren't my opinions: https://www.amazon.com/Post-World-War-M-1-Helmets-Illustrated/dp/076431033X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mark+reynosa+M1&qid=1614709668&sr=8-1

In 1976, specifications changed and "identification of the liner was changed" and the "identification marking was printed directly onto the liner's interior" (Reynosa, Pg 68). Paper labels were no longer used and the green interior was more commonly seen after this change. 

Ok, MattS that's what I was getting at "Production continued until 1975." was an open ended statement. So the confusion was from the paper tag being replaced. Got it!

Not open ended at all. The original post concerned a "paper tagged M-1 liner" which was only in production from late 1972 to 1975.

One of mine, a painted MP liner. 

90A78783-16A1-4B07-B712-D5F812E4B05F.jpeg

Thank you very much Matt for taking the the time to respond. Your paper tag looks different, the printing is bolder...mine has allot of waisted paper with small printing compared to yours.   The liner has always bugged me. I  do not like the design, the webbing never  wants to stay in place.

There were 3 predominant makers of liners during this period, Firestone, Marmac, and Consolidated Molded Products (CMP) and each used their own paper labels. The crown stamp will tell you which one yours is, mine is a Firestone. Yes, it's a fairly terrible design. A more secure snap-in system would've worked better but the M1 was already obsolete and soon to be replaced by the 70s. 

The Rooster

My Issued liner from 82 is one of these paper taged liners. Remnants of the tag are still there.

Its orange inside and very thick. Im betting I could stand on the liner without breaking it. Much different than the older ones. And yes the webbing would sometimes come loose

but it was a better system as far as being able to replace damaged worn webbing. But yea they did tend to come off the pegs now and then. Like if you put the helmet down on the ground upside down a little too hard..... the harness would come off the pegs.

The Rooster

Mine is a Marmac.

Thank you for clearing that up as I never knew what the M stood for.

DSCF3796.JPG

DSCF3798.JPG

Yep, Marmac Industries, Inc. of Marysville, Michigan according to the book. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in how the M1 and liner changed from 1945 to 1983.