WW2 Japanese Plane Dial Bringback

Thrifter_01

These were quite a surprise to find, in all places, the garage of a WW2 veterans home from an estate sale. The veterans name was Donald D. Stinson, who had passed away in September of last year. According to his obituary, he had served in the Pacific campaign with the 7th Combat Cargo Squadron as a pilot on a C-46, staying with them with the remainder of the war until being discharged on January, 1946.

It would also appear he brought back a souvenir. I will be honest and say I don't know the first thing about planes, let alone a Japanese one. But, I do know that it appears to be some sort of dial off of one, what it was used to measure or type of plane it was from, I have no idea. If anyone has some insight on that, I would love to hear it. But otherwise, it is a very unique bringback from his time in service.

As a side note, the bag that it was in has the name 'Double Dip' on it, a place he had worked in Amarillo, TX, before signing up to join the war. 

20210226_172813.jpg.cdf99d861ba6c519005ef48b91efb50b.jpgdial_itself.jpg.2000359dea742d7aab4921762cbc64c0.jpg

dial_hsnd.jpg.f2d750094df575c6f803298487b3f597.jpg

dial_side_2.jpg.56b05b85781f0b51c8db103c4a1d6ed3.jpg

dial_side1.jpg.db92fb1e44b49f9da563ff9ff15229b1.jpg

underside-dial.jpg.90a63d88f9cde20431455a6cdf4ee31e.jpg

20210226_164757.jpg.31ceee20b93212e853a92ff25f5f7d7e.jpg

USCapturephotos

I love it! Great that you have the info o the vet who brought it back. I have a collector friend in Japan who may be able to give you some insight on the piece. Shall I ask him?

Paul

9 minutes ago, sundance said:

Great find. I love items from the Pacific. Can you open it up and get that pointer back on? Hopefully someone can interpret that plate om the back. 

I did see if I could open it up, but the thing appears to be screwed tight. As well, I do worry that with my inexperience with this item, I could accidently damage if I did anything further. 

11 minutes ago, USCapturephotos said:

I love it! Great that you have the info o the vet who brought it back. I have a collector friend in Japan who may be able to give you some insight on the piece. Shall I ask him?

Paul

Please do! Anymore insight on the item would be swell.

6 hours ago, Longbranch said:

It's an altimeter.

From a Japanese army air service aircraft made by Yanagi Mfg. C0. Ltd. Top number is the serial no. 8930. The other numbers are the date... not sure how to date this but 16th year of the 12 year of the reign of....... that´s what I remember from some instruments I had years ago.

cheers, John

USCapturephotos
4 hours ago, Flightpath said:

From a Japanese army air service aircraft made by Yanagi Mfg. C0. Ltd. Top number is the serial no. 8930. The other numbers are the date... not sure how to date this but 16th year of the 12 year of the reign of....... that´s what I remember from some instruments I had years ago.

cheers, John

Yup...that's what my friend in Japan translated as well... "Type 95 altimeter" made by "Yanagi Manufacturing Inc.".

Paul

Thank you all very much for the help for this altimeter! Again, this is a wealth of information for someone who knows nothing about these things. Though out of curiosity, is it possible to do research on the serial number?