M-1 Helmet Goldmine Cache?

Scarecrow

Does anyone recall the story behind these M-1 helmets discovered in a scrap yard?  I have these two photos and one of the helmets identifiable in "the pile".  I have these two photos that came with the shell but do not recall the details. I'm guessing this was 15-20 years ago? I'm contemplating selling the M-1 that I have and would just like to provide any potential buyer with as much info as I can.  Many thanks to whomever has a better memory than mine.

IMG_3567.jpg.3992a8dbb9c2523dbc81019721eeb965.jpgIMG_3568.jpg.57c2c97b41c9412eddd8b494038fb4b1.jpg

That picture looks hecka familiar. I can recall drooling over it a long time ago. If I think of anything I'll let you know. Hopefully someone here has a better memory than I do. 

Mikie

10 hours ago, aef1917 said:

It's the Smith-Edwards hoard in Utah.

Thanks aef1917.  After your ID I googled Smith-Edwards Helmets and found a thread on the WR Forum.  Apparently these were discovered in a scrap yard in the 2009-2010 time frame.

47 minutes ago, sgtdorango said:

Paul which one is yours?...a buddy of mine just picked up the black horse helmet recently....mike

Hey Mike,

As they say in the wonderful world of coincidence, in what is photos of probably thousands of helmets, your buddy's lies exactly diagonally up to the right, one helmet from mine!  When acquired it was just the shell with its chin straps.  I have since paired it with a Firestone liner for better display.

IMG_3566.jpg.55632fb45b8e34c64cfe4a58a7860922.jpgIMG_5956.jpg.f6494403d6d2139b93ee45c40f9e2663.jpg

Burning Hazard

Legendary Smith and Edwards in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I remember seeing these long ago; many collectors flocked there and the lucky first ones got some real treasures; I believe Bugme has a couple of painted shells from there too.

Who here remembers Sutherland Brothers? They also picked up some painted helmets, including some MP and WWII 29th ID lids.

Good old days, I remember people saying that yard got picked clean, nothing left but badly damaged M1's or plain Vietnam/80's shells.

Pat

I took the pictures and found the helmets. It was about 15 years ago. Didn't have a cell phone or even a digital camera back then.  I flew to Utah from Arizona so I could only bring back a duffel bag full of the helmets.  I was so limited in what I could bring back that about 1000 nice fix bail helmets were merely glanced at then put back in the heap: unless they were painted I had no interest given my travel limitations. Found one M1C shell which I still own.  The "pile" has long since disappeared. That pile in the picture was the smallest of three piles. Another pile was on the other side of the railroad car and a pile about 5 times bigger than both was about 100 yards away. When I visited last, about 7 years ago, I walked the entire yard and found one helmet. 

Jim  

One last thing. The price they charged was firm and the same regardless whether it was a dented post Vietnam rusted pot with no

chinstraps or a WWII vintage medic helmet: $3.00 each. (Thats three dollars).

I should have bought a truck in Salt Lake City and drove back with it filled with FBs. It would have paid for the truck. 

General Apathy
On 2/27/2021 at 2:10 AM, Scarecrow said:

Does anyone recall the story behind these M-1 helmets discovered in a scrap yard?  I have these two photos and one of the helmets identifiable in "the pile".  I have these two photos that came with the shell but do not recall the details. I'm guessing this was 15-20 years ago? I'm contemplating selling the M-1 that I have and would just like to provide any potential buyer with as much info as I can.  Many thanks to whomever has a better memory than mine.

IMG_3567.jpg.3992a8dbb9c2523dbc81019721eeb965.jpgIMG_3568.jpg.57c2c97b41c9412eddd8b494038fb4b1.jpg

Hi,

I shared the above photographs with a collecting friend in the UK and he came back with this memory . . . 

I recall an article in the American newspapers back in the 1970s about some major road construction work going on in New York, this involved demolishing a concrete road bridge. One end of the bridge was situated on the edge of an old scrap yard, the yard owners had bricked up between the bridge supports to form huge dry-storage areas. Upon removing this brickwork they came upon 1000s of US helmets stacked to the roof, several truck loads were taken away. Apparently they were bought at auction in the late 40s and trucked to the scrap yard and thats where they stayed. Obviously all WW2 helmets.

cheers lewis.