Space Age Control Survival Kit

vulture06

Thought I would share some pictures and details about a very unusual survival kit I have had for a few years.  The pervious owner stated that he thought it as issued to USN or USAF pilots at one time but I have not been able to find any information indicating that such a kit was issued to military pilots.  The kit was made by Space Age Control in the early 1970s and consists of a single shot .22LR pistol, flare pistol, combination knife and hacksaw blade, compass in the handle of the pistol, commercial snake bite and first aid kit, matches, a ferrous rod and fishing lure. 

The barrel of the pistol can be screwed into the base of the aluminum container to act as a handle for cooking food.  .22LR Ammunition is stored in the bottom of the pistol grip and the pen flares are stored in the handle of the pistol grip.  The receiver of the pistol can be removed and the knife/saw can be inserted.  A very neat and well thought out kit.  I have not been able to find out much information on this kit other than the original patent documents.  Please share if you have any details about this kit.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

Def would like to know more info about it.  Not sure on military use but its cool as hell.  Maybe they wanted to push its use for Astronaut kits, the Russians sure have put NAZ survival kits with survival weapons in their spacecraft kits.   The pen flares look like BUWEPS/NAVAIR MK-80 types used in the MK79 kits.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, the resemblance to the TOZ-81 kit used by the Soviets on their space flights is remarkable.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36876/the-toz-81-mars-gun-was-the-soviet-unions-ultimate-space-revolver

That one also could be used for ammo and flares. Of note in the main image is also the yellow strobe light on the left, that looks a lot like the US SDU-5.

Cheers,

Ron

9 hours ago, HUD69 said:

.Of note in the main image is also the yellow strobe light on the left, that looks a lot like the US SDU-5.

Cheers,

Ron

message-editor_1601652088759-naz3-medium.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to know if anyone else has seen this in Military issue at all. Way cool item! With a survival gun like this, is it considered to be a "pistol" or survival tool? 

• 1 month later...

This "weapon" was developed for spy planes "drivers" i.e. U-2 and Blackbird pilots.  It replaced suppressed Hi Standard pistols.