Sons of Union Veterans Medal

SARGE

Here is an example of a Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War medal. This is the current title of the organization that became the successor organization for the Grand Army of the Republic Union Veterans. One will find different ribbons on these medals that indicate different status of the wearer.

SUV_Medal.JPG

Here is a closeup view of the bar on the top of the ribbon.

SUV_Medal_Bar.JPG

And here is a closeup view of the medal itself showing the SUV cypher logo in the center of the medal.

SUV_Medal_Drop.JPG

This is an example of an older version of the medal shown above. This medal is from the late 1800s when the organization was known more simply as the Sons of Veterans. Notice that while the overall shape is the same the ribbon, the bar, and the drop are different.

SV_medal.JPG

Here is a closeup view of the back of this medal showing the patent information and date.

SV_medal_drop_back.JPG

• 1 month later...
KevinBeyer

I recently purchased what I thought to be an early version of a Sons of Veterans membership badge. After consulting American Society Medals by Bishop & Elliot I am thinking that this might be a commemorative badge struck by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (the current incarnation of the SOVs).

Does anyone know anything about this particular badge?

SOVMembershipCommemorative.jpg

Kevin

Kevin,

I have not seen an original of this badge before. It is an early SV badge and it mimics the shape and branch insignia of the GAR badge.

According to my SUVCW book this badge was worn by the Philadelphia Sons of Veterans when they were known as GAR Cadet Corps. All these so-called "Post System" groups were united in 1881 and the separate badges ceased to exist and only the single badge shown in the thread above was worn.

So, your badge was worn in Philadelphia by the SV between 1878 and 1881. It is a Sons of Veterans membership badge.

Nice badge!

• 8 months later...

Here is an earlier example of the Sons of Union Veterans Membership badge. I have somewhere on my computer a list of all the variants of this badge. If I recall correctly, there are upwards of around 20 different version. It is enough to make a completionist crazy.

SOVMembership2.jpg

Kevin

• 5 months later...

I recently obtained another Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War badge of note. This one is the one used to denote 50 years of membership. It is immediately distinguishable by the use of the large yellow stripe down the middle of the ribbon. Also, attached to the ribbon is a bar which reads

* 50 YEAR / MEMBERSHIP *

The top bar for these medals is left blank for the engraving of the wearer's name. The one depicted below is devoid of an inscription.

SUV50YearMembership.jpg

Kevin

Guys, thanks for posting the medals! I learned not too long ago that my Great-Grandfather was a commander of a SV/SUV post in Ohio. Unfortunately, nothing from his time with the organization remains in the family. I found a number of newspaper articles mentioning his title and his participation in reunions, veteran funerals, etc.

• 7 months later...

There are many, many variations of the Sons of Veterans membership medals. Not many people realize that the earliest versions bear no resemblance to the current versions. Below is a picture of one of the earliest known examples. (This medal is not in my possession.)

SOV_Early_Version_Sgt_At_Arms2a.jpg

Has anyone came across anything similar?

Kevin

The two medals you have depicted belong to the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The auxiliary's membership consisted of the wives of the sons of soldiers who fought in the Civil War. It is still a functioning organization to this day.

More information pertaining to this group can be found on their website:

NATIONAL AUXILIARY TO SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR

Kevin

The two medals you have depicted belong to the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The auxiliary's membership consisted of the wives of the sons of soldiers who fought in the Civil War. It is still a functioning organization to this day.

More information pertaining to this group can be found on their website:

NATIONAL AUXILIARY TO SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR

Kevin

Thanks for the info Kevin.

• 7 months later...

While attempting to get more information about Veterans' Organizations I discovered that the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War include images of all of their membership medals on their website. I thought I would share them with everyone. Please feel free to visit

SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR

if you are interested in joining their organization.

SUVCW_CurrentMembershipBadges1.jpg

SUVCW_CurrentMembershipBadges2.jpg

Kevin

There are many, many variations of the Sons of Veterans membership medals. Not many people realize that the earliest versions bear no resemblance to the current versions. Below is a picture of one of the earliest known examples. (This medal is not in my possession.)

post-276-1235238390.jpg

Has anyone came across anything similar?

Kevin

I have some Sons of Veterans item I posted on the forum today. What I have and didn't post (because I didn't know what they were) are two blue chevron sleeve patches. I have been reading the other posts and I found yours with the medal having chevrons on it. ..There also is a picture on another thread showing two SV's in uniform with chevron stripes. I now believe that the chevrons I have, that came in a Civil War Gar and Sons of Veterans grouping, are the SV uniform chevrons. Thanks.

There's another medal that is not yet on the website - it's for Junior Associates and has a solid white ribbon. There's also a War Medal, a Military Service Medal, and the Sons of Veterans Reserve Membership Medal.

Jim

Jim is correct. Below are the badges for Junior Associates, a Military Service Medal, War Medal, and the Sons of Veterans Reserve Membership Medal.

SUVCW_CurrentAssociatedMedals.jpg

Along with the SUVCW War Medals goes the associated bar for the conflict during which the member served.

SUVCW_CurrentWarMedalWBars.jpg

Kevin

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...