Identification from an APH-6 helmet the unit.

Captainbill31

Captainbill31

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you for accepting me in this forum.
I am the proud owner of a recent APH-6 dual visor helmet that would have belonged to a USMC crew member. The latter would have made 3 stays in 1965, 1967 and 1968 as indicated on the helmet. 
I have identified the rank as :Master Sergeant Gunnery at the back of the helmet. 
What is symbolic "for me" is the fleur de Lys (symbol of French royalty) and the affirmation of the origin: Cajun. 
As for the word: Rajun, no idea for the moment of its meaning except a possible link with the sports section of the University of Louisiana.

Thank you for your help and see you soon.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

IMG_9719.heic IMG_9720.heic IMG_9721.heic IMG_9723.heic

Hi! While I can't exactly help you with helmet information, just wanted to let you know that your pictures did not upload, and the file is not an image file that my computer supports, so I couldn't download them and upload them for you. 

You might try uploading jpeg, png, or gif image files. 

“Rajun “ is a play on words for “raging.”  Rajun rhymes with Cajun, so that was probably the man’s nickname.  Rag in’ Cajun is a common nickname, but it is spelled differently on you helmet.

"RAJUN' is a play on the word RAGING meaning "to show violent uncontrollable anger". It rhymes with CAJUN.

Nice helmet!

Ah man, Steve B, beat me to it.

Captainbill31
1 hour ago, Captainbill31 said:

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you for accepting me in this forum.
I am the proud owner of a recent APH-6 dual visor helmet that would have belonged to a USMC crew member. The latter would have made 3 stays in 1965, 1967 and 1968 as indicated on the helmet. 
I have identified the rank as :Master Sergeant Gunnery at the back of the helmet. 
What is symbolic "for me" is the fleur de Lys (symbol of French royalty) and the affirmation of the origin: Cajun. 
As for the word: Rajun, no idea for the moment of its meaning except a possible link with the sports section of the University of Louisiana.

Thank you for your help and see you soon.

Bonsoir cher compatriote 🙂 !

I concur with the others above, "Rajun" is a phonetical play on words with Ragin' / Raging and the aviator's Cajun origin. Perhaps a clue to his official nickname (nicknames are a solid tradition in US naval aviation), even if the "PNY" taped letters could also be part of the equation (his initials, maybe ?).

Anyway, my guess is that your helmet indeed belonged to somebody coming from Louisiana, hence the taped "fleur de lys" which is a strong giveaway associated with the presence of the word "Cajun".
The paintjob on the sides, however, is quite certainly a commemorative decoration which was added later, say after his last tour in Vietnam - in 68.

One side question for those who are fluent in that matter : is Master Sergeant Gunnery a common rank for aviators ?

He would be referred to as a Master Sergeant The strips would show 16 years of service( 4 years per). Rank carries to all occupations. Just remember all Marines are infantry riflemen and are trained as such. Including pilots and cooks.

I didn't know any of that, thank you for sharing your knowledge !

It's a known fact that the rank is something aviators don't show lightly on their helmets - I've been told it can look cocky.
However, since this shell looks like a commemorative VN artefact, does seeing the rank appear on the back of the helmet seem legit to you ?

Captainbill31

Good evening Gentlemen and dear compatriot!

Thank you for your contributions and your remarks about this helmet. To the question: can one be an NCO and pilot or co-pilot, the question remains?  
Finally on the model of helmet with double visor it seems that it is rather used on A4 or A6 but I have no certainty. 
Concerning the initials "PNY", it is difficult to identify the letters of the name or the first name.
Finally as for the restoration, if you have any recommendations, I'll take it!
Have a good flight and see you soon.

USMC pilots are all officers, not NCOs. Pilots receive training through the US Navy. They are qualified as a Naval Aviator. This is a qualification, their MOS, military occupation, can be almost anything. This allows them to do another job while not flying.

Welcome to the forum Captain Bill.

This is the only web link that I could easily find and share of aircraft used by the USMC during the Vietnam War. http://www.usmcvietnam.net/USMC-Aircraft-Loss-Nam.html

Looking through the list, I do not see any fixed wing airframes that would have a NCO aboard. There is a good chance that the NCO was a crew chief (an enlisted flying MOS) assigned to a helicopter squadron. The only issue with that theory is this APH-6 is almost exclusive to fixed wing use. Either way, the owner was very prideful of their service as it shows. You are lucky to have this in your possession. Best of luck on the restoration process. It will be worth the effort.

Salut!

I'm pretty sure the APH-6 was also used in rotary wing uses, they would have the boom mic mounted on the shell though.  Most of the ones Ive seen in images from Vietnam were also painted a crude OD finish.   Could be a helmet that was given as a retirement gift and custom done by a life support shop.