Replacement snaps: M8 Scabbard

9th Infantry Manchu

9th Infantry Manchu

Anyone know where I can get replacement snaps for a M8 marked, M8A1 style scabbard? It was a mess when I got it but cleaning it up a little the scabbard body is not broken and the throat is in great shape but it looks like a tank drive over the snaps which are crushed flat :( any leads greatly appreciated. Jim

(Not sure if it matters but I did notice across my different scabbards there is a slightly larger diameter snap on some.....this has the smaller diameter snap)

The smaller snap is from WWII.  The larger snap came about when the military converted old M8 scabbards to the M8A1 configuration, in about 1956.  They also switched directions  on the strap (left over right, or right over left, depending on how you look).   I'm sure someone will be able to help with buying replacements.

Marv

I've replaced snaps (both large and small) on leather sheaths.  I have some Old Brass type snaps in both large and small which might work.  You might also look at replacing the entire keeper with another one from a broken scabbard, these occasional come up on ebay and at shows/flea markets/etc.  If you are interested in a set of snaps, PM me and I'll send you a set to try.

9th Infantry Manchu

A big THANK YOU to Thorin6 for sending me some snaps that were an almost exact match. I was able to carefully remove and save the outer original button, and use the new internals to rescue this project. I saw this and,my fault, really didn't pay attention to how sad this bayonet was. Red paint under gold paint, missing handle and catch, crushed button....and it's a common bayonet. But its history so I did my best to save it. I'm not a big fan of repainting scabbadds but I didn't have much of a choice and it did come out pretty nice. This is what I started with....

s-l1600-10.jpg

Good job! If you want it closer to original, and an FYI to the other guys here, Model Master FS34087 Olive Drab, available in small bottles or 3 ounce spray cans, is an almost perfect match for WW2 OD scabbard bodies and similar equipment. You can get it at Hobby Lobby and other hobby stores that carry the Model Master paints.

9th Infantry Manchu

I was actually going to ask that exact question. I tried three versions of OD and this was the closest I could find. I'll get some of the Model Master TY!