Thoughts on this Fixed Bail

Wake1941

I am going through a large collection, this is one of the helmet I found. This was bought surplus back in the 1980s. My question is are the chinstraps and sweatband period or copies? Thanks 

3CF546BF-DFA1-48C5-BFFC-7E1C2DDBD91A.jpeg

AE21D7AC-116A-4120-8993-7A4D9D64E9FA.jpeg

2CA43633-3DAD-400C-9EEF-43C2C407B64B.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

Sweatband does look a bit suspicious, as does the stitching on the chinstraps.  Honestly, I’m thinking an older reenacting helmet.  Based on the lack of wear on the rim, it’s either near mint or has been repainted.  The liner chinstrap appears to be original, however I’m not sure. 

Honestly, I wouldn’t buy this one as a complete original set.  There are some good parts, and depending on the price might still be worth it.

Just my observations, take them with a grain of salt.  I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will come along.

CC

6 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Sweatband does look a bit suspicious, as does the stitching on the chinstraps.  Honestly, I’m thinking an older reenacting helmet.  Based on the lack of wear on the rim, it’s either near mint or has been repainted.  The liner chinstrap appears to be original, however I’m not sure. 

Honestly, I wouldn’t buy this one as a complete original set.  There are some good parts, and depending on the price might still be worth it.

Just my observations, take them with a grain of salt.  I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will come along.

CC

Thanks for the input, I really don’t think the wear to the paint is a big deal. In the 80s there were piles of factory unissued shells. I have some still with the cardboard. 

Chinstrap and sweatband are definitely older reproductions. The leather chinstrap stands a chance of being real but I don't know enough to say for sure on that one.

Russ

Just now, trenchfoot said:

Chinstrap and sweatband are definitely older reproductions. The leather chinstrap stands a chance of being real but I don't know enough to say for sure on that one.

Russ

Thanks the chinstrap sure feels good, leather shows proper age. 

kinda a side note, the shell looks like it was finished with like sawdust or something instead of cork as well. i dont think im really a fan of the shape of the tab, or embossing in the leather either of the leather strap

2 minutes ago, shadawg said:

kinda a side note, the shell looks like it was finished with like sawdust or something instead of cork as well. i dont think im really a fan of the shape of the tab, or embossing in the leather either of the leather strap

i know that there were several makers, but overall, that leather strap seems suspect. looking again, the rivet on the one on your helmet seems rather flat, instead of the subtle domed shape, but its hard to tell. any chance of getting closer pics of the rivet, or the cut ends would be greatDSC04874.JPG.849ccd37de1084fb9ade3f42792fa45c.JPG