The American Committee for the Defense of British Homes Send a Gun WW2 Stop Hitler Now

GreenStar67

How the times have changed - I have been gathering these clippings for some time and came across three different ones - I can't remember exactly where they came from but they are one of those things in American history that actually makes me feel proud. Maybe some others have some different variations and can post.

I'm not a historian but the basic story goes something like this: during WW2 the British people at home really didn't have the means to resist if a ground invasion were to happen - in typical generous American fashion US citizens organized in conjunction with British subjects and sent their personal pistols, rifles, revolvers, shotguns and binoculars to aid them in  defense of their homeland. I would love to know more about this subject but it isn't discussed much that I know of. Maybe someone can contribute further, Anyway

enjoy.

258181581_SendAGun.jpg.76fbe16bf4ff1187e18a9b25705e6865.jpg

stop-hitler.jpg.6ca1f4631931c709b7659d89273666eb.jpg

Send_a_gun_to_defend_poster.png.c4d2eb9cf9f059f65cd7263e45051e9f.png

Nice & nostalgic ! All from an era when firearms weren't responsible for what they happened to be used for, but rather the individual which chose to misuse them.

Just in case you're not already aware, Charles Page's awesome study of WW2 era U.S. Secondary Handguns is full of the story regarding that request for guns in the U.K.

Best,   dpast32

For a number of years I had a 1892 Winchester carbine in 44/40 with British proof marks and a 3 digit number stamped in the buttstock.  The story was that it had been sent over to Britain for this exact reason and had returned with a US soldier after the war ended. I have always assumed the average British person at that time had little use for firearms as hunting was pretty much not for them but reserved for the upper class. Crime rate was very low at the time and prior. They fully expected to be invaded at some point. Too bad they resorted back to their old ways after the war ended. I'd call it a lesson not learned.

Steve