WWII USCG Dog Handler Grouping

ScottG

These items came in to the Michigan Military Heritage Museum today and sadly we know little about the veteran himself. Mack J Hill is listed aboard an APA returning to the States between Sep 45 and Oct 45 accompanied by a dog. Outside of that we know nothing and anyone wishing to help provide some more info would surely be appreciated. His rate seems to be unusual and possibly theater made or privately made as there is no diamond around the "D". 

We received dress and working blues, 2 white tops, his cap and stenciled leggings as well as a couple of revenue shields. While we were thrilled to receive these items as we are very near to a major War Dog Cemetery and Memorial, we sure would like to know more about the man and possibly any of the dogs he may have handled. Hope you like the small grouping.    Scott

DSCN7192.JPG

DSCN7193.JPG

DSCN7194.JPG

DSCN7195.JPG

DSCN7196.JPG

DSCN7197.JPG

The cap leggings and white tops. We have several sets of the working blues as well, but they only have his stenciled name and no rate or embroidery.   Scott

DSCN7190.JPG

DSCN7191.JPG

DSCN7198.JPG

DSCN7199.JPG

DSCN7200.JPG

DSCN7201.JPG

Very cool grouping Scott! Not a branch I have ever seen handler stuff from, I wonder what kind of capacity they would have been used in with the Coast Guard?

I think the Coast Guard was responsible for guarding the beaches in WW2 where Germans might try to sneak spies ashore from subs.  A do would be very handy for that kind of work.

One of the research problems I am having with him is that the ships log I found has two different numbers... APA 112 or 212 and both were actual ships. So he was on one or the other at the end of the war for a return trip to the States with a dog. Both were coming out of the Pacific with one at Iwo Jima and the other going from Saipan, Guam etc.. Would be great to nail it all down and hopefully in time we will. Thanks for the comments!   Scott

I had a grouping, that’s posted here, of a dog that was inducted into the Coast Guard but went on to serve in the USMC.

35 minutes ago, ScottG said:

One of the research problems I am having with him is that the ships log I found has two different numbers... APA 112 or 212 and both were actual ships. So he was on one or the other at the end of the war for a return trip to the States with a dog. Both were coming out of the Pacific with one at Iwo Jima and the other going from Saipan, Guam etc.. Would be great to nail it all down and hopefully in time we will. Thanks for the comments!   Scott

Wouldn't be surprised if they were used to inspect cargo, ships, etc for stow-a-ways, contraband, possibly even for the perceived threat of frogmen/IJN divers?

Looks like he may have been stationed at Pearl Harbor as the ship he returned on was USS ATA 212 and it was a fleet tug at Pearl in 45 returning to San Francisco and then taken out of service in early 46. Would love to know more, but I can find very little with my limited research tools. Its possible he was just passing through Pearl and caught a ride on that ship as well.  Scott

It's a shame that the archives are all closed.  Awesome find.  This is the first dog hander set I've ever seen.  And named to boot!!

Thanks Paul and Mike, looks like it will take a while, at least until the archives are open again.    Scott

That is a great grouping Scott. Thanks for showing it. War Dog items are my passion and many here know. I think most USCG dogs were used for sentry duty like Blackie here. 

Blackie 1 x.jpg

Blackie 2.jpg

Blackie 3.jpg

RustyCanteen

Nice group, the rating badge is 'customized' by removing the original (most noticeable on the white rating badge) specialty mark, and a new 'D' embroidered in its place.

26 minutes ago, RustyCanteen said:

Nice group, the rating badge is 'customized' by removing the original (most noticeable on the white rating badge) specialty mark, and a new 'D' embroidered in its place.

Makes perfect sense now that I look at it, thanks! Great info to have.  Scott