The Vacant Chair: Major Charles P. Chandler

cylekostello

So this is a real interesting piece.

Its an absolutely beautiful badge for a major in the 1st Massachusetts Infantry Regiment (1861/54). The design consists of the white diamond of 2nd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac, as well as a Major’s bar up top.

The regiment had two majors, Charles P. Chandler and Gardner Walker. Major Chandler was killed leading his regiment in a charge at the Battle of Glendale. What’s interesting is that the badge came with a slip of aged paper attributing it to Major Chandler. However based on the hallmarks, it is a post war (1800s) badge. The badge was produced by Rich'd Oliver and Bloomfield, a NY jewelry firm that began operating in the early 1880s. This, combined with its nearly unworn condition leads me to believe it was minted as a remembrance of the fallen Major Chandler.

Chandler was the scion of a wealthy family who abandoned his cushy university posting when his country called. In his time as major, Chandler led his regiment in the battles of Bull Run and the Peninsula Campaign, where he was killed in action. After his death Gardner Walker, a sailmaker in Boston was promoted to Maj. and led the regiment for the rest of the war, through Gettysburg, the Wilderness and Petersburg to name a few. By wars end the 1st Massachusetts had suffered 8 officers and 134 men KIA/DOW and 79 deaths of disease.

1FRVFsO.jpg

9mFK5UO.jpg

bvyJsgD.jpg

eVEXehX.jpg

j9Yh3nF.jpg

Forgot to add: Included in the post are CDVs of the Regiment’s majors. The first is Maj. Chandler and the second is Maj. Walker.

At any rate, Boston is my adopted hometown and I feel very fortunate to bring this medal back to Mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attribution would seem to be incorrect based on what you uncovered about the jeweler.

Chandler is an interesting guy.  I have a large early war albumen of him, also photographed by Brady.

Scott

7 minutes ago, scottiques said:

Attribution would seem to be incorrect based on what you uncovered about the jeweler.

Chandler is an interesting guy.  I have a large early war albumen of him, also photographed by Brady.

Scott

Yep, definitely not a wartime piece. Very high quality piece though, much more so than most regimental reunion badges. If there is a connection to Chandler, it's probably a memorial piece. Otherwise it likely belonged to Maj. Walker. 

As you said, Chandler's an interesting guy. Came from a pretty well established New England family. 

Kyle 

It is a beautiful badge-- very high quality.

Chandler was very involved with the Masons.  My photograph came from a defunct Mason's Hall in the area of his hometown.

Interesting. Would you happen to have any more info about Chandler and the Masons? Eg: which lodge he belonged to/lodge no. Anything along those lines would be great. 

Never mind! found some info on the Maine Masons' website

Kyle 

Tangentially related but if anyone can enlighten me about the number 4 stamped on the reverse I would be much obliged.

Searched online no to avail
9b827270ff8edef1f65074048bb03d00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk