MCAS Miramar Flying Leatherneck Museum to close permanently

gwb123

Very sad; I once visited Miramar with my Dad in the 1990s and went to El Toro to see the display.  It is a special place since I had a family member serve there.

Having visited a few times I would say the aircraft might have better custodians at the USS Midway museum ship a few miles away in San Diego Bay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They are still trying to keep it open, including moving it to the old El Toro Marine air station in neighboring Orange County:

April 21, 2021

Dear Friends,

Thank you for all your support. Just a quick update on the progress being made to save the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum and its programs.

Your voices were heard. We just received notice that the Marine Corps has placed a hold on divesting any aircraft in the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum collection until this fall to give your Foundation time to secure a new location for the museum. We are thrilled to report that we have had a very positive reception from the City of Irvine and the Marine Corps in our preliminary talks with them. The proposal is to relocate the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum’s aircraft and select artifacts to Orange County Great Park (formally MCAS El Toro).

The Foundation’s offices have moved down the road. We have several exhibits on display, most notably our new Wall of Honor. Recognizing Marine Corps aviation combat heroes.

Also, without interruption, we continue to provide programs to preserve and share the character, contributions, and sacrifices of the people of USMC aviation. If you are in the neighborhood stop in at 9400 Activity Road, Suite C to say “hello.”

Despite the challenges COVID gave schools, we received good participation in our annual essay and art contests. Winners will be announced in May. A ceremony recognizing the Irene Ferguson Marine Wife of the Year will be held this summer.

We will continue to keep you updated as more information becomes available. Thank you again for your support. Nothing would have been possible without it.

Semper Fidelis,

Michael J. Aguilar

Brigadier General USMC Retired

Executive Director

Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation