Unknown Wooden Practice Sword Saber RIA

derrbrad

Dated 1909 RIA on the blade.  I'm familiar with the M1913 "Patton" style but haven't seen one like this.  What model is this supposed to represent? Thanks

Capture.PNG

This is a Pre-WWI practice sword made by the Rock Island Arsenal. There is a great thread on these showing a number of variations-  

Allan

I've watched that thread, too, as it is very interesting! However, I don't believe I've ever seen the type with the round handle end discussed. At least, I've not seen a picture of one come up for me yet! Very cool!

RIA made a complete fencing/sword outfit, that included a mask with face and neck guard, and I think a padded chest & groin arrangement.  I collect RIA material, and had a chance to buy the complete outfit; but it was years ago and I didn't have the $350 at the time.

illinigander

"Dated 1909 RIA on the blade.  I'm familiar with the M1913 "Patton" style but haven't seen one like this.  What model is this supposed to represent? Thanks"  

I think these wooden practice swords that are dated prior to 1913 could have been used generically for the US Light Cavalry Saber.  So, wooden practice swords for the existing stock of the so-called brass hilted "M1860" sabers and the new iron hilted Light Cavalry sabers made by Ames.  Like the USN singlesticks they could be used for practice for any sword then in use, including the new M1902 US Army Officer Sabre or the 1906 Experimental Sabre.  

Here is a manual for the use of the M1906 Experimental Saber.

1906 sword accouterments close.JPG

1908 Saber Manual title.JPG

1908 Saber drill close.JPG

1908 Saber practice.JPG

I have one of the 1906 experimental sabers as well, but it was the grip on the wooden blade that was throwing me. But, if I use my limited imagination i can start to see the basic design of the 1860/1906 light cavalry saber, so that makes sense. Being a generic "saber" also makes sense as there were so many changes around this time frame as far as sabers/swords.  I have a couple of the M1913 versions(1 dated & 1 unmarked) so I was pretty familiar with them as well.

Thanks to all for the help