Glider Wings marked Sterling

would these be WWII or later wings?  could they be reproduction?  the pin folds open pretty far. no maker marks.

thank you for comments

20210224_132412.jpg

20210224_132426.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

I agree with Marty that is a likely source of the grind marks. Note that the pin opening up all the way is not always an indication of reproduction. Many original WWII wings have pins that open all the way. The one that should not is a WWII period N.S. Meyer make. The reproductions do, the originals do not. 

Also, the "G" on your wing is a separately applied device and does not match any factory types i know. For it to be real, the whole wing would have to pass a high "suspicion test" because of how highly desirable they are and $$. That means everything about it lines up. Nothing contradicts its legitimacy. This one does not pass the test, unfortunately.

Tod

These photos are from a current listing on ebay.  Although the wing is a command pilot wing, you can see the wing feather details match along with the vertical metal mark, so I believe the glider wing you showed was made with a post WWII vintage Meyer wing.

meyer new command front.jpg

meyer new command rear.jpg

In fact, the "G" looks like an add  on.  So someone took a post KW/Cold War/VN vintage wing (probably worth about 20$, ground off the NS Meyer hallmark, added a "G", and some pin back fittings.  Someone REALLY wants your money!  LOL

The only thing missing is some sort of cheesy dremel/nail engraving "Lt Gravity-Jones, Market Garden, 1944"  This one should go in the pinned fake section

PS  oops i just saw that Tod caught the added G.