Opinions Please, Patrol Jacket EGA?

AirMechanic

The  originals I've seen don't have a screwpost, but two flat metal prongs on the reverse that you would  put  through the collar and flatten out.   I know of a member here who has a very  nice pair.

Steve

I could be mistaken, but thought all of these were in silver/gold? I have never seen one in bronze color and I don't believe the bronze would have been worn on the blue wool patrol jacket. . Someone can correct me if I am wrong!

Looks okay to me...but the light is washing out details. I'd like to see clearer images.

Have not seen this particular variety in screwback before, mostly prong back, but not beyond the realm of possibilities as I have seen another patrol jacket variant with screwbacks.

The prongbacks of these are usually seen in a dull gray base metal and covered in silverwash, which easily rubbed off, and not silver and gold

Brig thanks for answering the question I posed. I was referring to “silver and gold” as colors, not the content of the metal necessarily. I have also seen the “washed” version you refer to but since we are on the topic, I thought I remember seeing a jeweler made silver and gold (content) pair with the little soldered tabs between eagle and globe on the back also intended for the patrol jacket. Ever seen anything like that for this particular uniform? 

Thank you all for the comments. Sorry for the poor lighting in the photos, as I had trouble getting enough light and focus to show the small details. Here is another photo for clarification. I’ll try to get a few more clearer photos if still needed. In this photo, you can see the detail in the eagle, including in the feathers, the claws, the beak, and the eye. If this was a cast EGA, I don’t think that those small details would be as clearly defined.

You can also see more clearly the North American continent, which is painted a dark brown. Although you really can’t see it in the photo of the back of the EGA, there is an indentation for the continents that can be seen from the back. I would think that this would be indicative of being stamped over being casted.

The base metal also appears to be showing from underneath on the front where there are a few spots of wear. It has a copper color, but I’m not sure of the actual metal content.

I also noticed that the back of the head of the eagle is flat when viewed from the front and really looks like it is wearing a navy “pancake” hat. Is this a coincidence or an attribute of some EGAs of this style?

35C11327-C11F-417E-ACEF-8B3FD04E9F76.jpeg

Steve Brannan

With the better pictures I agree it is die stamped and probably original. I like it. The WW1 and earlier Marine insignia used a particular threaded size that does not work with later nuts.