SURVIVAL KIT, INDIVIDUAL AIRMANS

Ethanm

Accidently used wrong formatting, 

Ok hey guys, just got these two packets, 

Packet 1,  Medical,  Jun, 09

Packet 2 General, December 07

They are fully complete,   I havnt really seen these before

I wanted any info you guys had on these. 

20210223_152406.jpg

That accessory packed isn't part of these kits.  That is from a C-Ration, and probably Vietnam era if it has the cigs in em.  I think in the early 70s they removed the cigs from those packets.

The survival kit is also known as a SRU-31/P and depending on the contents they combined some of the contents and became a SRU-31A/P kit.   Seeing this is both sections, probably just the 31/P.   This is a common USN/USMC kit but they were also used in US Army OV-1 Mohawk survival vests when they were being used.   They developed off from the SEEK-2 kits,  Im sure Bob can chime in and have alot more info on them.   These kits were either carried in the SV-2 series vests, or even the seat kit in Naval aircraft ejection seats.  There is usually a mandatory part (fat side) of each platform of kit, and then a optional section (skinny side).  Your kits have the typical markings  NAVAIR uses with the crewman's initials and his last 4 on all of their survival equipment.

5 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

That accessory packed isn't part of these kits.  That is from a C-Ration, and probably Vietnam era if it has the cigs in em.  I think in the early 70s they removed the cigs from those packets.

The survival kit is also known as a SRU-31/P and depending on the contents they combined some of the contents and became a SRU-31A/P kit.   Seeing this is both sections, probably just the 31/P.   This is a common USN/USMC kit but they were also used in US Army OV-1 Mohawk survival vests when they were being used.   They developed off from the SEEK-2 kits,  Im sure Bob can chime in and have alot more info on them.   These kits were either carried in the SV-2 series vests, or even the seat kit in Naval aircraft ejection seats.  There is usually a mandatory part (fat side) of each platform of kit, and then a optional section (skinny side).  Your kits have the typical markings  NAVAIR uses with the crewman's initials and his last 4 on all of their survival equipment.

Would you agree I can go ahead and open up the accessory packet to see what cigs I got? 

I would refrain from that actually.  Some of these packets are pretty valuable at times sealed the way they are.   If I were you, post another separate post on them in the appropriate section of this forum,  not sure if it would be under field gear or bivouac stuff, or maybe under whats it worth section.

"Would you agree I can go ahead and open up the accessory packet to see what cigs I got? "

You could... they are yours....of course by opening it you will destroy the value as a collectors item should you ever want to resell it.

And, I dont know what an acual accesory C rat packet like that would fetch but i would guess close to a hundred ??

Someone must have thrown that in because they have not made those (Like Mowhawk said )

since the Vietnam War. So... personally,

I would not open it to see what kind of cigs are in it. Unless you dont care about the value of an un opened packet ?

Just now, The Rooster said:

"Would you agree I can go ahead and open up the accessory packet to see what cigs I got? "

You could... they are yours....of course by opening it you will destroy the value as a collectors item should you ever want to resell it.

And, I dont know what an acual accesory C rat packet like that would fetch but i would guess in the hundreds ??

Someone must have thrown that in because they have not made those (Like Mowhawk said )

since the Vietnam War. or shortly after. So... personally,

I would not open it to see what kind of cigs are in it. Unless you dont care about the great value of an un opened packet ?

I was just personally playing around a little,  I would never devalue something like that purposefully,  I have to say, I'm just well,  surprised? You could say, surprised yeah, that it would be in the airman general packet. 

5 minutes ago, Ethanm said:

I was just personally playing around a little,  I would never devalue something like that purposefully,  I have to say, I'm just well,  surprised? You could say, surprised yeah, that it would be in the airman general packet. 

No idea why it is, those kits are from the 2000s, and that C rat accessory pack is from the 60s most likely,  wouldn't be super weird if it was in like a late 60s SEEK-2 or something of the same time period.  My father wasnt a smoker so when he was in Vietnam he used to give em to other pilots or his crew.   Its usually like a small packet of smokes with I think 4 cigarettes in them.  They hand a hand full of different brands from that era in them.

Not much I can add to what has been said about the kits.  They are a Navy / USMC item carried in all seat kits and vests.   The contents of your kits will be very similar to the kits below.

2009 Medical

311189639_Med3.jpg.6b9cffe72368804e8d4535d2436f7cc8.jpg

2009 General

1813102389_Gen3.jpg.9057834e9767e6424a7502206e20e8ca.jpg