Co C 306th engineer combat Bn. SS Peleliu

scottplen

Here is a recent trade . 81st division Peleliu island .

wwi type SS old privately engraved To Sgt who scaling a cliff under fire to take our enemy caves with satchel charges ! He also was commissioned a Lt at end of war.
there was a post on SS years ago and this was one of the stars mentioned to wwiii actions 

numbered 41339 

found pic on ancestry of him.

sadly he survived bloody Peleliu to die sitting at a red light in 1974.

I probably over paid in trade but how many Army Peleliu items do you see ? 

B7E6B750-9D04-46C0-8473-DEBEC2C7AF3B.jpeg

51B7575F-61DD-4D79-8C5A-35730DE0C0E2.jpeg

14B90AD6-2A63-4107-B5CD-75751671FAF6.jpeg

005FA6D3-7B67-4583-9CA1-BD793B21F9DC.jpeg

FD09FF3A-C692-4199-9799-FCBC172C54B9.jpeg

00EE17EA-4DDB-40A8-8E04-CC7554E29D9B.png

D475AEEE-D8C5-41D3-8663-9F7737E07707.png

B9A5A234-074F-4C8A-9984-38BB33F9D12E.png

7853598F-D6B2-4843-AE16-96209BA8BC04.png

Trevor Arendall
2 hours ago, scottplen said:

any idea on how to get  glue residue off on ribbon and star ? or should i leave it ?

Nice medal!

I have had a great many types of glue on ribbons. I personally would leave it alone unless it is soft and you can peel it off with your fingernail. Never had any luck with removing glue that is hard without destroying the ribbon. 

Look on the bright side, you could have a nice ribbon and............. 

It's painful just to look at this.   Rust never sleeps but foam kills.  Anybody thinking that once they get that crud off, everthing's gonna be Otay Mesa and wait for the patina to come back is fooling themselves.  Ribbon can be replaced, but this is forever.

Green Foam.jpg

ErwinRommel1940
On 2/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, aerialbridge said:

Look on the bright side, you could have a nice ribbon and............. 

It's painful just to look at this.   Rust never sleeps but foam kills.  Anybody thinking that once they get that crud off, everthing's gonna be Otay Mesa and wait for the patina to come back is fooling themselves.  Ribbon can be replaced, but this is forever.

Green Foam.jpg

I'd suggest dish soap, hot water and an old tooth brush. I've had reasonable success with this method. This method also tends to leave the patina. 

6 hours ago, ErwinRommel1940 said:

I'd suggest dish soap, hot water and an old tooth brush. I've had reasonable success with this method. This method also tends to leave the patina. 

Thanks, but I don't own that 1901 Good Conduct Medal with USS Olympia and Constellation bars, but possibly someone on the forum does. It just sold for upwards of $500 in that condition, perhaps along with some other medals to that sailor.  I've never owned a medal with foam damage, but from what a dealer has told me who has dealt with that kind of damage and from what I found online,  after removing that fused foam residue  with acetone or whatever, you will likely find you're not just dealing with shiny metal but pitting and corrosion.   Not worth taking a $500 chance to me in that condition, even if it had a Dewey to buy as well.   It would be interesting to see how that medal "cleans up", but I'm not holding my breath for a show and tell here.  From your experience with foam damage,  do you think it's likely that after removing the residue, there will be no metal damage or staining?  #7 on this old post has a photo of some damage from foam.

ErwinRommel1940
On 2/25/2021 at 3:17 AM, aerialbridge said:

Thanks, but I don't own that 1901 Good Conduct Medal with USS Olympia and Constellation bars, but possibly someone on the forum does. It just sold for upwards of $500 in that condition, perhaps along with some other medals to that sailor.  I've never owned a medal with foam damage, but from what a dealer has told me who has dealt with that kind of damage and from what I found online,  after removing that fused foam residue  with acetone or whatever, you will likely find you're not just dealing with shiny metal but pitting and corrosion.   Not worth taking a $500 chance to me in that condition, even if it had a Dewey to buy as well.   It would be interesting to see how that medal "cleans up", but I'm not holding my breath for a show and tell here.  From your experience with foam damage,  do you think it's likely that after removing the residue, there will be no metal damage or staining?  #7 on this old post has a photo of some damage from foam.

When it comes to medals in this kind of condition, my personal belief is that the foam should be removed in order to preserve the medal from further damage, same thing goes for verdigris. To answer your question, yes there is usually is some pitting and dark spots, but the result is not as visually unattractive. I am generally in the "leave it alone" camp with most items (don't dry clean cloth, don't polish medals, etc.), as in those cases, the item is not being harmed as it is in this instance.