US ARMY PRIVATE Marion Joseph Andrzejak

Taj Patel

Dear Militaria Collecters,

I don’t know if this fits in this category. But anyway I got this photo of a group of mostly Polish World War l veterans or soldiers either returning home or gathering for the mass of Thanksgiving on April 11,1920 in South Bend,Indiana. From pictures there seems to be Marines, US Army soldiers, and Navy sailors. This photo belonged to US Army Private Marion Joseph Andrzejak. I did some research at found his grave, his info in a 1940 census and newspaper that listed him a severely wounded soldier. I also found an obituary article in newspaper saying he was in the US Army and a member of the band in the photo known as the Z. B. Falcons. I could not find a exact year of birth because his grave says 1888, the owner photos says 1887, and the census says 1890. I also could not find any of his military documents or any information on what unit he was in. So if anybody can I would really appreciate if you could dig up some more information on him because I would like to find him in the photo.

US ARMY PRIVATE

Marion Joseph Andrzejak

Thanks,

Taj Patel

F8878144-CAB1-4A9F-A19E-9D3F3652C645.jpeg

68941E2A-4EE6-4EEA-B2FC-62943050886B.jpeg

2A23FE72-0744-4706-A0E5-EF455D7AB4A4.jpeg

63D58597-E1A4-4084-B0D6-C067CA71A752.jpeg

0C439A2E-6DEE-4FB0-88C1-0C38973B5290.jpeg

6C82ADB6-29E2-4C6D-9CBF-50E91F3F7EB7.jpeg

9472716D-396F-4582-89D6-7F28B1B1AACE.jpeg

31591711-29AB-4B10-A1B0-0A6ABBADCADD.jpeg

11476DDD-D33B-46A4-890B-68A3138C4322.jpeg

F82CED49-9ED3-46D8-BB09-83F91C3C3722.jpeg

C0C74C3C-C4E4-48D1-9B36-4207E516D487.jpeg

1A53B532-669C-4DCD-A818-BB1A1A2CA2A7.jpeg

1DA2CAF3-840F-444A-B4BB-EAF8B243E7D5.jpeg

Thanks, your information lines up for the most part but a few things because his name is Marion but I do not know if he spelled it differently like Maryan. Also his grave says that he was born in 1888 but his family said he was born in 1887 and his enlistment matches up with the date his family gave me, 4-27-1918. Do you think he spelled it differently because that is possible and his birth year is off by a year on his grave?

16 minutes ago, Taj Patel said:

Thanks, your information lines up for the most part but a few things because his name is Marion but I do not know if he spelled it differently like Maryan. Also his grave says that he was born in 1888 but his family said he was born in 1887 and his enlistment matches up with the date his family gave me, 4-27-1918. Do you think he spelled it differently because that is possible and his birth year is off by a year on his grave?

You're welcome.  I believe everything you see in this post is the same soldier.  I can't really explain all the name and date variations but it happens.  -- Matt

His Indiana service abstract is attached.  Depot brigades handled the initial processing of recruits when they entered the service (medical examinations, inoculations, aptitude testing, outfitting).  Those who did not have disqualifying issues were normally transferred out of the depot brigade for assignment to a unit after three to four weeks.  The 159th Depot Brigade operated at Camp Taylor, Kentucky, which is where the majority of the draftees from Indiana were sent.  His serial number also falls into the block issued at Camp Taylor.  He was apparently sent up to Camp Custer and assigned to the 337th Infantry around May 25, 1918.  The 85th Division was broken up for replacement after it landed in France, which is how he ended up getting transferred to the 26th Infantry on August 19, 1918.

Andrzejak.png

It appears from the picture that the soldiers were celebrating Thanksgiving Mass at the St. Adalbert Catholic Church located at 2505 W Grace St, in South Bend, IN.  To me the photograph is post-war as most of the men’s uniforms are adorned with medals.  Also, you’ll notice that some of them appear in civilian clothing with awards as well.  Maryan didn’t come back to the U.S. until Dec. 1918 and WWI ended Nov. 11, 1918.  Since the photo shows Thanksgiving Mass, the photograph would’ve had to have been in 1919 or later.It appears from the picture that the soldiers were celebrating Thanksgiving Mass at the St. Adalbert Catholic Church located at 2505 W Grace St, in South Bend, IN.  To me the photograph is post-war as most of the men’s uniforms are adorned with medals.  Also, you’ll notice that some of them appear in civilian clothing with awards as well.  Maryan didn’t come back to the U.S. until Dec. 1918 and WWI ended Nov. 11, 1918.  Since the photo shows Thanksgiving Mass, the photograph would’ve had to have been in 1919 or later.

Book of Merit

The Book of Merit Awards and Citations Collection was created by the Indiana Historical Bureau in the late 1920s as a means of gathering the necessary information to publish the Indiana Book of Merit, honoring the distinguished service of Hoosier soldiers in World War I. The title was taken from an idea first suggested by George Washington on August 7, 1782 when he established the first American decoration and provided for inscribing a record of the awards in a “Book of Merit.”  Records were compiled from numerous sources of the Armed Services, by examining service cards transmitted to the State Adjutant General and through extensive verification processes with allied nations for foreign awards.  Included are records for eighteen women serving typically as nurses or with the Red Cross.  The database is searchable and copies, including photographs, can be obtained by contacting Archives staff at [email protected].

Note:  Would suggest contacting the State of Indiana Archives staff at the email given to see if they can send you a copy of a photograph of Maryan Andrzejak if one's available. 

-- Matt

I've got a copy of the Indiana Book of Merit and found Maryan Andrzejak on page 28.  There is a small picture of him that I think was taken with him in his uniform. I can't do it right now but a little later today I'll scan it and post it here.

Steve

30 minutes ago, Taj Patel said:

When contacting the Indiana archives should I ask for a Marion or a Maryan?

IF you should end up having to contact the archives you should ask for Maryan Andrzejak, as that is how his name is in the book.  I would wait until GWS has a chance to scan the picture of him and post it here before contacting the archives.  

THANK YOU GWS!