Massachusetts State Guard-State Defense Force-MVM

mrgsmvm

Posted is a photo of my collection of Massachusetts State Guard, State Defense Force and Massachusetts Organized Militia shoulder patches from WW II thru 2021. I have an additional group that I will post this coming week.  I will try my best to answer any questions that are posed to me. Enjoy.

Sincerely

John

AKA: Captain Midnight100_5078.jpg.ba3691d8db64722dd7df0fdadb3c66a3.jpg

From what I have been able to find out, this patch was never authorized by State Headquarters so it was short lived. I have seen photos of this patch before, Steve Johnson sent me a photo, but have never seen one up close and personal. If you know of one that might be for sale I would Love to add it to my collection. I have some additional patches in another mount that I will add to the site within a day or two. Just saw that you have an online site so I will check it out today. I hope to speak with you again at some point.

Sincerely

John

AKA: Captain Midnight

John, it turns out that Steve Johnson has a SSI variation and that I have a cap variation. Neither of us knew that until he asked what the size of mine was. 

Now that's interesting to note. It would be of great interest to document those two variations with photos of front and rear of both patches with dimensions. Historical facts like that Need to be documented and then shared. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Sincerely

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Been collecting for many years and these, Massachusetts State Guard, are difficult to find. My first M. S. G. patch was given to me by my Uncle Mike at a M. S. G. V. Veterans Association convention in 1951 or 1952. My Dad and I were visiting him as it was close to were we lived. It's the patch to the right of the oval Green and White one in the first photo. I had stopped collecting shortly after that for about 6 to 10 years (discovered girls and cars). After being marries for 5-or 6 years started up again, 1965, and haven't stopped. 

I went through my collection and I would lkke to know if this M.S.G. is from Massachusetts or another state.

Massachusetts-03.png

This is definitely Massachusetts State Guard. This is WW I, worn on both sides of the enlisted mans collar both sides along with a regimental number. this was also worn on the left sleeve midway between the shoulder and cuff and below a chevron of rank. When I get a chance I will pull the official information and post it.

Sincerely

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry;

I haven't had time to actually write the general information out completely that pertains to the Massachusetts State Guard WW I uniform and placement of insignia, I will give you something just as good, the General Orders pertaining to that. 

General Orders #1 of the State Guard Board, as amended by General Orders #1, #2 and #12 of 1917 prescribe the uniform. Also May 5, 1918 the Massachusetts Adjutant Generals Office issued General Orders#8 revoking all previous uniform General Orders and General Orders#8 provided new regulations.

When I get the time I will write these orders out in full and also add photos of the insignia they mention. I'm in the process of completing an intensely large project so this might not happen for a few months.

Sincerely

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All;

Here is a short follow up on Massachusetts State Guard WW I Enlisted ranks collar insignia. The photo below shows a few of the variations in my collection. I did stop collecting these variations because there was no end to them. All these cloth collar insignia where produced by local manufacturers and there were many manufacturers that did produce them. So that's why the many varieties. You will notice the different shades of Blue for the letters, shapes of the letters and also the different sizes of the letters. 

More collar insignia to come at a latter date.

Sincerely

John

img045.jpg

It sure is Massachusetts State Guard Reserve. I missed out again. Oh well maybe next time!!!

John

PS

Additional info on the WW I M.S.G. cloth collar device in a day or so. I'm moving sloe these days.

Hello All;

As promised. Here is a grouping, front and rear, of WW I, Massachusetts State Guard, Enlisted men's Collar Patches, or as the official GO description states Collar Devises. This grouping differs from the last group I posted in that: these have never been sewn on a uniform, you can see the different cloth material utilized during production, the difference in the M. S. G. stitching, the different sizes of the folding and the one light color of Blue almost Light Orchid color of the bottom Device.

I will try to answer questions the best I can and if I can so fire away.

sincerely

John

img046.jpg

img047.jpg