Strobe Lights - SDU-5/E and MS-2000 & Flashguards

RWW

2 minutes ago, Steve Brannan said:

I was given this Strobe by a Navy Seawolf Pilot working with our boat. He wanted to be able to identify us at night. 

You got Your strobe the hard way, unlike me. Thanks for serving.

Here is a couple strobes that belonged to a couple of SEALs during VN. They are as I got them and other than unscrewing the battery out of the one I haven't messed with them at all.

Bassett strobe 1.jpg

Bassett strobe 2.jpg

Very well could be an early IR setup, even for Vietnam era.  They did have starlight scopes around and Ive read reports that even some very early NVG mask type setups like a PVS-5 were being tested for aviation use in SEA before the actual PVS-5 was authorized for limited use in Aviation I think in 1974.

It would have been painted by the unit.  If you look at the top of this post you will see a photo of a page from the Air Force TO with Section 5 titled "Performance Testing"  then look at "a" "Light Leakage Test".  This tells about the painting.  The early flash guards only fit over the clear dome of the strobe and this also helped with light leakage from them. Despite what is called for in the TO, you will see a wide variety of widths of black paint on strobes.  

• 5 months later...

My contribution to this very interesting thread, a 1977 example that I strongly believe to be naval (quick extraction yellow strap + velcro hook backing).
More pictures and close-ups are available here if needed.

1541660559_full1(Personnalis).jpg.156f89340fdc1c04755c56cde14bc2c2.jpg

34 minutes ago, Vark_07 said:

My contribution to this very interesting thread, a 1977 example that I strongly believe to be naval (quick extraction yellow strap + velcro hook backing).
More pictures and close-ups are available here if needed.

1541660559_full1(Personnalis).jpg.156f89340fdc1c04755c56cde14bc2c2.jpg

Yes, 100 percent a NAVAIR item with the pull tab and the red dummy cord, plus the velcro for the helmet attachment.

No doubt a great Navy example.  Your post does raise a question on how the Navy marked strobes used in vests.  I have never seen a name or call sign engraved into any Navy item. (I have no doubt individual aviators might have customized items, but as for the shop marking things, it is pretty standard.)  It is usually 2 letters and 4 digits.  I have a couple of Navy strobes and none of them have any markings on either the strobe or yellow webbing.  Below is a picture of a strap cutter with the webbing marked as an example of how all the Navy components I have seen are marked. Please post any pictures of marked Navy strobes you might have.

1863728531_DSCN3533(2).JPG.c2f2812cd970ae56c3b3af369ca1f4f3.JPG

7 hours ago, RWW said:

No doubt a great Navy example.  Your post does raise a question on how the Navy marked strobes used in vests.  I have never seen a name or call sign engraved into any Navy item. (I have no doubt individual aviators might have customized items, but as for the shop marking things, it is pretty standard.)  It is usually 2 letters and 4 digits.  I have a couple of Navy strobes and none of them have any markings on either the strobe or yellow webbing.  Below is a picture of a strap cutter with the webbing marked as an example of how all the Navy components I have seen are marked. Please post any pictures of marked Navy strobes you might have.

1863728531_DSCN3533(2).JPG.c2f2812cd970ae56c3b3af369ca1f4f3.JPG

Earlier Navy stuff, Id say pre mid 90s didn't seem to do that standard marking of what they do on each item currently.  From what I understand its your initials and last 4 of your SSN.  If you recall the SV-2Bs used to have the big name tapes down the knife pocket back in the early 90s and before and now all the AIRSAVEs and what not just have the initials and numbers on all the pockets and all the gear inside as well.

I like that jack the ripper hook knife, haven't seen one yet with the NAVAIR webbing  pull like that.  Was that out of an AIRSAVE?

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting and informative thread.

As it has been progressing over the past few months, I got the opportunity to pick up some SDU-5/E's from a surplus / militaria shop going out of business in Idaho. All the stuff seen here cost me a whopping $25. Dates are 1972, 75, 81 and 85. The oldest battery in the lot is from 1976. I have also included a couple of shots of the SDU-5/E civilian version made by ACR. I found it in a second hand boating store back in the late 80's. I believe it's production date was 1985. Waiting on a couple of CR123 conversion caps to test them out.

20210916_112702.jpg

20210916_112750.jpg

20210916_112819.jpg

You did great, and got a good representative sample of SDU-5/E's!  The '72 dated one with the orange cap battery is an especially good find!  If they haven't been used in a while, it may take a few minutes after you put the battery in before they will flash. 

I would like to add that if anyone here is in need of a non functioning BA-1574/U battery and / or brass cap, PM me and I'll get you whatever you need for the price of shipping.

Cheers. 🍻

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a pretty decent shape 68 contract ELCO recently.  The battery is stuck in place so I cant check the date on it.  Why are there 2 FSNs for the SDU-5?  I noticed some are 6230-067-5209 and others 6230-938-1778.

68 SDU-5E a.jpg

Is there a chance these 2 distinctive FSNs could be related to some kind of "global issue" FSN versus "naval only issue" FSN ?
My USN SDU-5 has the 6230-067-5209 number, for what it's worth.

11 hours ago, Vark_07 said:

Is there a chance these 2 distinctive FSNs could be related to some kind of "global issue" FSN versus "naval only issue" FSN ?
My USN SDU-5 has the 6230-067-5209 number, for what it's worth.

I saw your Navy one is a later (post 1974) so it had the NSN but its basically the same number as that FSN ending in 5209, only has the 00 country code added.  I would have wanted to say maybe that other stock number was discontinued that was on my 1970 strobe but I saw the last contract ones from 1995-1996 had the other number ending in 1778.   If they are the same lights Id imagine they wouldn't have a different stock number,  would seem confusing.   I guess we shall see when Bob chimes in.

I asked our question to a fellow collector who is much better at researching things than I am.  He found the answer in the TO on strobe lights.  The answer is a very simple supply issue.  -5209 gets you the strobe, battery, and case.  -1778 only gets you the strobe.  Now we know!

604553056_untitled_14(2).jpg.f0d7f0ee47bb1f639067f7edc2d03398.jpg

Excellent work!   Isnt the 4RM1B battery the original style that had the red end cap?  Surprised none of the BA designation batteries are there but I guess it depends on when that TO was published/current to.