thoughts on this unfinished Jolly Green Giant patch

ocsfollowme

Thoughts on this being original Vietnam War period? Would this be US made? The back looks nice with the thread. Unfinished border, very stiff. Glows on both sides. I really like the thread on it. 

Thanks in advance,

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 7.51.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 7.51.04 PM.png

Steve, this is US made, and as you said unfinished. There are a ton of variations to this theme. The name was applied to HH-3 helicopters originally, due to it's size and camo paint. The logo was "borrowed, adopted, stolen"  from Green Giant brand vegetables. The units performed search and rescue missions and had one of the most dangerous tasks in the war. They often flew deep into North Vietnam and Laos to rescue downed aircrew. The name came into use around the mid 60s and has been used in the rescue helicopter community since, regardless of helo model. I would guess your patch to be later 60s or early 70s. Hard to put it to a unit as there are many generic versions along with ones with unit IDs on them. Most were initially made in-country and later in the US as the war kept grinding away.

Randy

Randy, as always, thanks for your time in answering my question. 

I just went through several hundred posts on 

http://usafrescue.blogspot.com/2019/11/usaf-jolly-green-unidentified-patch.html

His Sunday, November 17, 2019 post has:

1915184577_jollygreen.png.a015b1bb19577fc6057104844ad420a6.png

It is interesting that there is another unfinished one for this insignia. I can only guess why. 

No problem; these both likely had a merrowed edge that was not added for whatever reason. I sent a copy of the pic to a guy that only collects JG patches. If I get something back I'll post it here.

Randy

• 1 year later...

Hi OCSFOLLOWME,

This is a patch that was given out by Sikorsky reps in the early days of the Jolly Green Giant.

I have one exactly the same which looks unfinished, & have only ever seen one thats had a merrowed edge.

I have seen patches like this before that have a stitched edge but haven't had the merrowed one put on yet. Obviously missed out for some reason.