Something different: Enlisted U.S. Naval Aviator LTA Airship Pilot wings

CliffP

Enlisted U. S. Naval Aviator LTA Airship Pilot wings 1920-1925. - Worn by Chief Petty Officers on the sleeve of the blue dress uniform. 

A-1 cpltafrtlg.jpg

A-2 cpltabcklg.jpg

A-3 shenandoah-mast-officers-lansdowne-web.jpg

Cliff, thank you very much for taking the time and making the effort to share your terrific early 1920's Enlisted LTA CPO Airship Pilot sleeve qualification example! 

I hope some of our younger collectors sit up and take note of the rarity of this insignia...   

13 hours ago, rustywings said:

Cliff, thank you very much for taking the time and making the effort to share your terrific early 1920's Enlisted LTA CPO Airship Pilot sleeve qualification example!  I hope some of our younger collectors sit up and take note of the rarity of this insignia...   

Russ, I would hope a couple of collectors might show some interest because the history behind the insignia and the man who wore it deserves some attention. 

It is one of two identical USN LTA Airship Pilot insignia that belonged to Chief Aviation Pilot Stanley Ralph Soulby, USN (1890 - 1978).  He was one of the first 8 USN enlisted men that began training as Lighter-Than-Air pilots at Naval Air Station Pensacola on 1 February 1920. He piloted the dirigibles USS Shenandoah (ZR-1), USS Akron (ZRS-4) and USS Macon (ZRS-5).

During WWII he flew Navy blimps on submarine patrol duty off the coast of Florida from the old Naval Air Station Richmond LTA,  about 18 miles south of Miami, FL. The Navy built three blimp hangers there during WWII before they were destroyed by fire during a hurricane in 1945.

Cliff

Airfields_FL_Miami_S_htm_4a0ec4f3.jpg.1035420463e3643b32c79d014a0c203f.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________

5thwingmarty said:

Cliff,

Do you know where the photo was taken and the names of the men in the photo?

Marty

Marty, the photo that shows the USS Shenandoah in the background was taken at Naval Air Station Lakehurst, NJ. The men are (l to r) Lt. Commander Zachary Lansdowne, Rear Admiral William A. Moffett, Lt. Commander Maurice R. Pierce, Lt. Commander Joseph M. Deem, Col. Chalmers G. Hall, USA

USS_Shenandoah.jpg

Cliff,

Thank you for identifying the location and men in the photo.  I thought that Rear Admiral Moffett was one of the men, but was hoping the army officer might have been someone else.  I should also echo my appreciation for your sharing photos of such a beautiful and rare insignia.

Marty 

This example, though trimmed and folded a bit differently than Cliff's, exhibits enough common characteristics that it may have originated from the same bullion shop?  Unfortunately, mine is not accredited to a known CPO.

USN CPO Airship Pilot 2.jpg

USN CPO Airship Pilot 4.jpg

On 2/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, rustywings said:

USN CPO Airship Pilot 2.jpg

😉  Russ, you continue to amaze us with what you have in your collection.  Thank you for posting this example.

For anyone that may be interested, three more examples of the Enlisted U. S. Naval Aviator LTA Airship Pilot wings can be seen on page 51 in the book "United States Navy Wings of Gold" by Willis & Carmichael.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Steve L said:

My only example; no glow but non attributed. Please let me know if you think its OK.

Steve,

I don't think anyone could ask for nicer example.  😉

Cliff

22 Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Steve, that’s a terrific variation of the bullion CPO Airship qualification wing! Protecting that top-grade bullion artistry from ninety-plus years of time, has left your example with wonderful natural toning highlights! Thank you for sharing such a nice rare piece with us!

• 2 weeks later...