Massachusetts Women's Corps (MWDC)

US Victory Museum

I am currently writing a reference journal titled: "Massachusetts State Guard WW II Unit Lineage", State recognition to Disbandment. I am hoping to have this completed by the Fall of 2021. I will take a short rest then start on the Massachusetts Woman’s Defense Corps (MWDC). I will post an additional MWDC group within the next hour or  tonight. What is your main collecting focus? I live in Middleborough, Massachusetts fairly close to Cape Cod area. I now need to get back outside to do more snow removal as we had a snow storm that started Thursday night and ended this morning. Only ended up with about 8 inches of snow but still have lots to shovel but I do have a snow thrower so that helps.

Sincerely

John

AKA: Captain Midnight

Okay Cutiger83, I will post another group now and will add content later as the snow awaits me. Enjoy and if you have questions ask here on the site or e-mail me and can find that in my profile. I do need to find a larger mount to place this group in as its to crammed in.100_5077.jpg.6037cff7d05b11485e1a807cc9e18fa1.jpg100_5077.jpg.6037cff7d05b11485e1a807cc9e18fa1.jpg

US Victory Museum

This is a Hat Badge of the WW II Massachusetts Woman's Defense Corps, renamed in 1943 as the Massachusetts Woman's Corps. This was worn on both the dress hat and fatigue hat and came as seen in your photo and Sterling. These are becoming more difficult to find even here in Massachusetts.

sincerely

John

AKA:  Captain Midnight 

• 4 months later...
On 4/6/2010 at 5:43 PM, US Victory Museum said:

Massachusetts Women's Corps.

Unlike organizations like California's WADCA or WATCC, which were

purely patriotic women's organizations having a similar command

structure like that of the US Armed Forces and Reserves, the MWC

(sometimes called Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps) did have a

nexus with the Massachusetts State Guard.

There is currently a paucity of information on the I-net about this

women's organization. The few links found with google are either

newspaper articles, or obituary notices listing deceased members.

In the period photo shown (plus enhancement) one can see that with

the exception of the two women holding the guidon each woman wears

a single ARP (Air Raid Person) MWC insignia on her left collar near

the opening of her blouse. The two in the center have twin insignia

or patches to denote rank; however, the resolution of the photo is

too poor to distinguish what they are. I suspect that they're color

tabs, like those used by AWVS.

While searching on the I-net, I was able to locate a single photo

of a MWC uniform in a museum's display (photo enclosed).

My uniform displays poorly because it is on a man's form that squares

the shoulders, and fills out the hourglass waist. Ignoring the

camera flash, the blouse looks much darker in normal lighting; this

chocolate colored uniform is tailored from summer weight gabardine

wool and feels like expensive quality.

All the buttons are Massachusetts state guard, including those on the cap.

The insignia on the cap is composed of a stylized interlocking M & W

surrounded by D & C (Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps.)

post-1529-1270590053.jpg

Photos of the MWDC are very difficult to come by so treasure those that you can find. I was intrigued by this photo so just had to find information about it. Information about the MWDC is almost impossible to locate as it was scattered to the winds after WW II. There are individuals whose MWDC personal records, photos and personal items have been donated to various achieves within Massachusetts but these are, at times, difficult to research. So below is what I have found for the 15th Bn, 18th Company MWDC.

·         18th Co was located in West Roxbury, Massachusetts

·         Activated on October 30, 1942

·         Deactivated/disbanded on September 16, 1946

·         Last commanding officer was: Captain Helen Breivogel

o   Captain Breivogel is sitting front row center and wearing two ribbon bars over the left blouse jacket pocket and holding one corner of the Company Gideon.

Note:

Gideon shows lettering at bottom, MWC (Massachusetts Woman’s Corps), this is a change from, MWDC (Massachusetts Woman’s Defense Corps). The name change happened when the unit was integrated within the Massachusetts State Guard. The official date of the name change was by GO#1 December 28, 1944. The unit was integrated earlier in 1944.

Information on the Massachusetts Woman’s Defense Corps is precious and little of it around so; read, save then pass it on to our brothers and sisters within our collecting community.

Sincerely

John Gisetto

AKA: Captain Midnight