US Proofed Smith and Wesson 38/200 revolver sold to Canada

varifleman

Here for your perusal is US Ordnance proofed Smith&Wesson  revolver Serial #943947 5-inch barrel chambered in 38 S&W (.380/200) later sold to Canada. This revolver has matching numbers on the frame, cylinder, yoke, extractor, and barrel. The revolver has a US Ordnance Flaming Bomb on the butt with C (Broad Arrow) Canadian property stamp just behind, as well as on the left side of the frame at the knuckle just behind the hammer. The smooth walnut grips are numbered on the interior: 94347. The C arrow under Made in USA is the Canadian ownership mark, C Broad Arrow. On the butt strap are found the serial number, the initials WB for the US Army ordnance officer Col. Waldemar Broberg, the US flaming bomb ordnance mark and the P proof stamps.

SWCA.png

SWCB.png

SWCC.png

SWCD.png

SWCE.png

Here for your persusal is my WWI British/Canadian Contract .455 Smith & Wesson H-E pistol serial number 17464. According to the Smith & Wesson letter this revolver was shipped from their factory on September 23, 1915 and delivered to Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company, New York City, agents for the British Government. Note that each chamber in the cylinder is individually proofed. It has British inspection mark just above S&W medallion and the Canadian C/Broad Arrow mark below cylinder release. Any ideas about the unit marking on the backstrap?

image.png.cfc5ffadd70a2e00e8b7dc0c5390e13c.png

image.png.7a30a2ae98c42a7cc61c0d2648c59301.png

image.png.117a3cedff7db2f8e67ac3e65d0eaf68.png

image.png.bd57800af096c668d4deb7eafb3115a4.png

image.png.507d56c42d64cdd735759ba734fd8a03.png

image.png.54a0971dfb724312bf228a6b514e815e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Smith's!

Was the 38s&w shipped early in WW2 since it is blued?  I assume the pistol was made before they started stamping the "United States Property" marking on top?

I'm waiting on the S&W Letter of Authenticity to give me the shipping information for the .38 pistol and will post it then. It's interesting that the .38 S&W had the US Ordnance Flaming Bomb, Inspector's Initials and P marks but no United States Property mark.

Charlie Flick
14 hours ago, kfields said:

Was the 38s&w shipped early in WW2 since it is blued?  I assume the pistol was made before they started stamping the "United States Property" marking on top?

Kfields:

The S&W Historical Foundation letter will indicate that the original finish on the pre-Victory revolver in question was "Sandblast Blue" or, as it was sometimes called, "Brush Blue".  This revolver was shipped in March or April, 1942.  It was likely shipped to the Hartford Ordnance Depot in Springfield, Mass.

The use of the left top strap marking "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" on 5 inch .38 S&W revolvers was inconsistent during this time frame.  There are identical revolvers shipped before and after this one that had the  top strap marking and, similarly, others shipped earlier and later without the marking.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick
10 hours ago, kfields said:

Was this revolver part of the "Lend Lease" program early on? 

Kim:

Yes, this one was a Lend Lease revolver.

Charlie