USMC Robeson Shuredge?

disruptors

I'm new to the World War II Fighting Knife collecting scene. I started off by purchasing a PAL USMC Fighting knife. Now I'm hooked. I came across a USMC Robeson Shuredge Fighting Knife online. It's different than the knives I've seen posted in this forum. Yes, it has U.S.M.C. and Robeson Shuredge on the blade. I noticed the pommel looks larger and round as opposed to the relatively small and flat pommels I've seen in photos, plus there is a silver stripe on the handle. Could these be repairs?

robesonshuredge.jpg

Thanks for responding. You have an impressive collection. The guy's asking for $800.00. It seems high for a knife that has been re-handled and without the original pommel. Thanks again!

I think $800 for a rebuilt knife is high, especially a MK2. There are so many out there.  For that kind of money, and patience, you might find a really nice one. Despite some of the insane prices I have seen some listed for Robesons. SKIP

I agree that $800 for the knife in the OP seems like a bad idea.  Either one of the USMC Robeson's in post #2 would be an out and out steal at $800.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The knife looks nice although I would love to hear from experts on whether anything has been done with it. The scabbard doesn’t look like the black stitch Robeson specific scabbard I would prefer to see accompanying a knife at that price. 

Rancid Polecat

I'm certainly no expert, and it may be my imagination but it looks like the tip has been ever-so-slightly reshaped, at least comparing it to the one I have, which appears unused.  It kind of looks like is has been touched by a grinder on the side of the blade near the tip quite a while ago. According to Bill Walters' book, there were several sheath variations, all of which had rivets. The black thread sheaths were apparently Robeson only, but not all of the RCC USMC mark 2's had the black thread sheaths? I think that was his conclusion. So this one doesn't look original, but... I think we can all agree you can never say anything about ww2 knives with absolute certainty.

Scabbards were always subject to wear and replacement. Keep in mind the  troops carrying these blades weren't thinking about collectibility during WW2, for 75 years later. SKIP

Doctorofwar

Just came across this thread.  I actually purchased the knife in the original post a couple weeks ago on the ‘bay.  Didn’t know the guy was ever asking a whopping $800 for it, I ended up getting it for less than $100, which was worth it to me as I had been on the lookout for a Robeson USMC place holder.  

It obviously isn’t an original beauty contest winner like Mikedon’s examples, but it filled a gap in my 1219c2 collection.  The replacement handle and brass pommel are rather well executed, being well shaped and sturdy with a red fiber spacer at the domed brass pommel juncture and what appears to be an aluminum spacer half way through the stacked leather handle.  The blade finish is worn but I was pleasantly surprised that it retained more bluing than it appeared to have in the pictures.

The USMC Robeson in post #10,,, Pommel / red/ black spaces are Not Original. Also the leather

handle would have to be  inspected  in hand. Sheath is not correct for a Robeson.