Iwo Jima 76th Anniversary - Remembering those who Perished in the Campaign

Trevor Arendall

Trevor Arendall

Since today marks the 76th anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima I thought starting this tread would be a cool way to remember those that sacrificed their lives during the Iwo Jima campaign. I am encouraging all members to post any medals to those that fought on, flew over, or sailed next to Iwo Jima and paid the ultimate sacrifice. 

I will start with something I recently acquired. This Purple Heart is to Leonard Brumback who was born in Carroll County Kentucky on November 27, 1915. He originally enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1939. From 1939 until early 1944 Brumback bounced around the US either serving as a band member or guard. In January 1944, Brumback would be assigned to the Headquarters company, 1st Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division and would remain there for the rest of his time in the Marines. On February 19, (D-Day for Iwo Jima) Platoon Sergeant Brumback would be listed as MIA and would later be changed to KIA in October of 1945. Thus making his total combat service less than 24 hours. 

Below are his Purple Heart, a letter to Brumback's wife that has his medal entitlement on it and a copy of the USMC Causality Report on Leonard Brumback. 

Brumback.jpg

Brumback 1.jpg.PNG

Brumback 2.jpg

Brumback 3.jpg.PNG

Thank you for showing this and paying tribute.  I want to recommend the book “Flags of our Fathers” by James Bradley.  It is probably the greatest testament to those who served during this or any other battle I have ever read.  The film could not give justice to the story.

Rob

I don’t have anything to an Iwo Jima KIA, but I’d like to share an original copy of the 5th MarDiv’s eulogy for the dead at the division cemetery on the island.  

F86C7CB9-00E7-49D8-B41C-1F5991BB8F4C.jpeg

BF2CA3C5-4CBB-4283-8826-859FCB2F4E46.jpeg

A Marine who enlisted in 1944, was awarded the SS for action on March 4th 1945 on Iwo as a Machine Gunner with Company B, Fist Battalion, Twenty seventh Marines, Fifth Marine Division. He was KIA on March 8, 1945. His Purple Heart is out there somewhere and it would be nice to someday reunite them. R.I.P. Marine. 

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG