Cased Navy & Marine Corps Medal

gunnertwo

Filled a long time gap in my collection today. I haven't seen another in all my collecting years and am very happy obtain it. This is the first pattern Navy case for the NMCM. Similar to design of the early PH cases but in a light red color. Pics attached showing what I've been able to gather over the years. The case is a slightly lighter red than the Navy SS, you can see the difference  in the comparison pic. The SS is on the right of the last pic. I am missing the early LOM case and have never seen one to know if they were produced. 

G2

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Congrats, those colored Navy and Marine Corps Medal boxes are tough to come by and not cheep when you do!  That is one I am still missing as well.     I think I like the colored boxes better then the named ones.

If that’s the same one - and I suspect it is - I am sure a bunch of us were watching that eBay auction.  You dug deep to get it, but that is one gorgeous medal. Congrats. 

Many thanks. Years ago I visited Roger Bender when he was working on the revised edition of Call of Duty. Many of the pieces in the first pic are featured in the book. I think my first early case was bought over 40 years ago. Ah, time and money.

G2

-Thanks for sharing those with us. Really beautiful collection! It is always a great feeling to find and acquire something we have been searching for. That is much of the "fun" of collecting!

BKW 

dhcoleterracina

Well Well Done!   I'm only halfway there and those left to get are near impossible, I didn't even know there was a DFC type, dang it. 

Yes on the DFC, another "Grail" to chase. I have two versions of the small Navy DFC titled cases and have never seen the untitled one. Can anyone answer on the LOM or show a pic of one? Thanks.

G2

I was a dummy when I was working on my book and didn't at least shoot photos of the cases with my cell phone. For the few unusual ones I ran into (e.g. green AM case, blue-backed DFC case, etc.) I photographed them...but I skipped over photographing the plethora of maroon Silver Star cases, Navy Cross cases, and the other "common" ones. I only photographed one NMCM and it was in the short titled case. 

I did photograph several LOMs, but nearly all of them were bar-mounted - their boxes were long gone, unfortunately. 

I’ve not seen a LOM colored case, only the short titled type so I’m also interested if they existed or if the award institution and issuance was well enough after the use of the early colored cases that there was no provision for them.  

On 2/19/2021 at 12:49 AM, gunnertwo said:

Filled a long time gap in my collection today. I haven't seen another in all my collecting years and am very happy obtain it. This is the first pattern Navy case for the NMCM. Similar to design of the early PH cases but in a light red color. Pics attached showing what I've been able to gather over the years. The case is a slightly lighter red than the Navy SS, you can see the difference  in the comparison pic. The SS is on the right of the last pic. I am missing the early LOM case and have never seen one to know if they were produced. 

G2

IMG_1459.jpg

That is an amazing group of early medals Gunnertwo ... congrats.   Everyone on the forum wishes they had the same.

There is an early LOM case that is actual leather covered rather than leatherette. It also has a pad with a smaller hanger.  I have never seen an untitled LOM box.