M1905 bayonet with USS Washington BB-56 Provenance, real or fantasy piece?

tthen

Hi all,

I found this today in a local antique store. I've included some pictures. Does anyone know if ship board small arms were marked in this way? 

They are asking $450.00 plus sales tax.

Thanks for any input.

Tom

19051.jpeg

19052.jpeg

19053.jpeg

Ap

4 hours ago, tthen said:

Hi all,

I found this today in a local antique store. I've included some pictures. Does anyone know if ship board small arms were marked in this way? 

It appears these were marked exactly in that way except for different ships.  

Source:  Worthpoint.com

b1.jpg

b1a.jpg

U.S. MOD.1905 BAYONET...USS CONCORD AND ANCHOR ON GRIPS

Sold For: $227.50 USD - Date: 3/7/2008 10AM - Channel: Online Auction - Source: eBay

Category: Militaria/War Memorabilia - Original Category: Collectibles : Militaria : WW I (1914-18) : United States : Edged Weapons

I WISH I HAD NOTICED THIS WHEN YOU FIRST POSTED IT!!!!    IT'S A 1922!!!  I WOULD BUY IT AS FAST AS I COULD!!   IT'S IN GREAT CONDITION AND  IT'S PRETTY RARE!  IF YOU DON'T WANT IT, PM ME WITH THE STORE'S  PHONE NUMBER.

MARV 

Greetings,

While I agree, the 1922 year makes the bayonet you have shared a keeper. However, the handle's Navy tie in is a bit "sketchy." I own the bayonet discussed in this thread and it has very (Very) similar marked handles. https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/309419-us-navy-m1905e1-bayonet-from-the-uss-bisbee/&tab=comments#comment-2592176 Concensus was that the markings were more fantasy than something rare.

Best.

V/r Lance

Not a bayonet, but for comparison, here is a .45 pistol marked from the USS Arizona on display at the Moffett Field museum in Mountain View, CA.   As shown, I couldn't see any anchor markings, but only one side of the gun is visible.

Mikie

Colt.jpg

I was able to pick this bayonet up today, but it appears with all the new information that I have jumped the gun. I'm sorta good at that.  

Thank you all for your input.

tthen- You still have a post WW1 legitimate M1905 bayonet, in very nice condition. I wouldn't lament over it. I would do some more research, sooner or later you'll get an answer. Also, research the ship, might be an important one. You never know. Finally, I believe I would have bought the bayonet too.  SKIP

2 hours ago, tthen said:

I was able to pick this bayonet up today, but it appears with all the new information that I have jumped the gun. I'm sorta good at that.  

Thank you all for your input.

No buyers remorse necessary on this one.  If I had bought it, it would be for the condition and especially the 1922 date.  It's not only the last year Springfield Armory made these, but they did not make very many in that year.  The marks on the grips are simply a bonus.  If they are truly fake, i.e. produced to fool the buyer, you can replace the grips.  The Navy marks may not have been made specifically for that ship, but some sailor may have kept the bayonet as a souvenir and was proud of the ship, so he had his on board duty commemorated.  I don't know if Paul Hout did "requests",(a reference to militariaone's link) but maybe this is some of his work..  He sounds like a nice guy, Either way, it's a great piece.

Marv

USS Washington (BB-56) was a North Carolina class fast battleship commissioned in 1941, it is easily researchable. I would reach out to the USS North Carolina museum in Wilmington and send them photos to see if it matches what is on their ship. 

USS_Washington_(BB-56)_in_Puget_Sound,_10_September_1945.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:09 AM, MattS said:

USS Washington (BB-56) was a North Carolina class fast battleship commissioned in 1941, it is easily researchable. I would reach out to the USS North Carolina museum in Wilmington and send them photos to see if it matches what is on their ship. 

USS_Washington_(BB-56)_in_Puget_Sound,_10_September_1945.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo. Dad joined the Army in 1940. One of his buddies was in the Navy and served on the Washington. At some point in the war, Dad met up with his friend got a tour of the ship. He was suitably impressed. Dad had a couple of letters from him with USS Washington letterhead. No idea what happened to them once I left home.

Mikie