Vietnam era/Cold War USN career enlisted man's rack - What do you think?

Boy Howdy

My friend was cleaning out his basement and this was in a box of various military items.

He does a lot of estate sales and has no idea where this came from.

The original owner looks to be pretty hard core but does this look like a genuine ribbon bar to you all?

Real or Memorex?

Thank you all in advance.

thumbnail_20210217_164906.jpg

thumbnail_20210217_164920.jpg

Salvage Sailor

To answer the obvious question, it is a Vietnam era/Cold War USN career enlisted man's rack in the proper order and unfortunately it's unattributed.

I'd like to see the other stuff in the box it came from, eg, the company this rack kept, to be more informed in an opinion of whether this was put together by a vet or a collector.  But no way to know if it's what the unknown vet actually earned.  Pretty hardcore, as you said, if it is genuine.  3 Bronze stars for combat,  4 PHs,  AM, Navcom, Arcom.  Never saw that PH looking ribbon with gold edges and two Es. A flag that comes up for me is with all that apparent combat action, why no gold stars on the Combat Action ribbon. 

The Navy "E" Ribbon or Battle Efficiency Ribbon was authorized on March 31, 1976 by Secretary of the Navy J. William Middendorf as a unit award for battle efficiency competition. The service ribbon replaces the "E" patch previously sewn on the right sleeve of the enlisted naval uniform for pay grades E-1 through E-6.

The Navy "E" Ribbon denotes the wearer was on permanent duty aboard a U.S. Navy ship or in a unit that won a battle efficiency competition after July 1, 1974. United States Marine Corps members assigned as ship's company are eligible on the same basis as Navy personnel; Marine Corps personnel assigned to embarked units, such as aircraft squadrons, battalion landing teams, and Marine expeditionary Units are not eligible to wear the ribbon

Not really an impossible rack of ribbons for someone who was, say, a riverine patrol Sailor in Vietnam. It's missing a few ribbons, but mainly the bottom row ones. 

2 hours ago, Boy Howdy said:

Would the Navy Expeditionary Medal possibly have been given instead of a star for the Combat Action Ribbon?

No. Those had completely different requirements. 

"stratasfan changed the title to Vietnam era/Cold War USN career enlisted man's rack - What do you think?"

Thank you!

I think It makes the title more interesting.