Last night's American Pickers.......02/15/2021

pararaftanr2

3 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

It is fine if you think blocking out the swastikas was stupid. As we both agree, this is reality tv and not a documentary. My point is that jumping from this to spreading conspiracy theories about social media and trying to discredit all college history professors is a gigantic leap that does NOT need to be taken. 

I am quite sure we all had teachers/professors that we loved and some we hated. I had some that were crazy and some that were amazing.  I had a high school English teacher that made me hate reading so much that I would not read again until after college.  I had some that made class so interesting it made me want to learn more. College is a small world unto itself. Some crazy people. Some amazing people. Some people I would never forget. And some people I quickly forgot. I did not judge my entire university on the few crazies. 

LAST thing I am going to say; Social media IS censoring. There ARE truths in  what some call 'conspiracies' and  that some times are TRUTHS and some 'conspiracies' wind up being REALITY and the colleges ARE slanted in one direction and ARE pushing a particular agenda by in large.

The military is a world and a country within this country. Its a university of sorts for those that attend.

Some of out teachers in there were smart and some were just outright stupid and lacking in "Common Sense"

Some were wise and humble and were great leaders. they did their jobs. And some were puffed up and self important and they did others and them selves a disservice.

I will refrain from spelling out the names of the universities and the wealthy family names that were attached to the most clueless idiots

that were appointed to lead us in the field.

16 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

Who is to judge whats a conspiracy theory and what is not?

Who checks the fact checkers?

Why do "Conspiracy theories" Turn out to be true so often?

Why do folks call TV shows Reality TV ?

lol

I understand fully why a combat vet in WW2 or any war would take souvenirs from

the enemies they fought. Theres not a thing wrong with that. If you risk your bacon

fighting for this country, you are entitled to such trophies.

Theres nothing wrong with that.

I dont collect anything but U.S. militaria because thats my choice.

But there is nothing wrong with people collecting what ever they want or

looking at things from their own view points because afterall thats what this country is about and thats

why people who serve in the military are doing their part to preserve our right to have different opinions

and not fall into lockstep with "approved" viewpoints............. Like some Communist countries I know of.

Personally Ive always liked watching the pickers show. Its taught me a bit about picking and buying and selling.

Its a good show. They have never been into militaria on there. Very seldom.

But its a good entertaining show for antiquing in general.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George. S. Patton.

While some end up being true, most conspiracy theories are false, crazy and sometimes even dangerous.

The fact checkers actually back up their responses with facts. However, many conspiracy theorists would rather believe the lies. ( I even had one tell me that he "preferred to believe the lies" . How can you argue with that?) 

I say to each their own. Collect what you like. I like US Militaria and various other antiques. :-)

Thats why the pickers show is so entertaining to me.

That is why this forum is so cool.

And entertaining. Its much more enjoyable

than the pickers show!

1 minute ago, cutiger83 said:

While some end up being true, most conspiracy theories are false, crazy and sometimes even dangerous.

The fact checkers actually back up their responses with facts. However, many conspiracy theorists would rather believe the lies. ( I even had one tell me that he "preferred to believe the lies" . How can you argue with that?) 

A published book is a conspiracy theory?  Its published. 

5 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? is a Latin phrase traditionally attributed to the Roman poet Juvenal from his Satires (Satire VI, lines 347–8), which is literally translated as "Who will guard the guards themselves?" Also sometimes rendered as "Who watches the watchmen?"

Just now, ajbUSWM said:

Anyone can get a book published. So yes. A conspiracy theory can make its way into a book. What makes you think it cannot? 

6 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

I'm not even going to get into what you and others consider to be 'conspiracies'  or any of that, as for so-called 'fact checkers' whose facts? that's laughable.

3 minutes ago, ajbUSWM said:

However, the book itself was not the conspiracy theory. The conspiracy theory was believing that social media would edit historical documentaries based on a book. One book written by one author that is not mentioned. Neither the name of the book nor the name of the author was mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Thor996 said:

I'm not even going to get into what you and others consider to be 'conspiracies'  or any of that, as for so-called 'fact checkers' whose facts? that's laughable.

And I won't get into what you and others actually believe are"facts" rather than conspiracy theories. That's laughable. 

Just now, cutiger83 said:

And I won't get into what you and others actually believe are"facts" rather than conspiracy theories. That's laughable. 

Whatever, I never said what I believe is a 'fact' or not. So don't put words in my mouth or thoughts in heads that I never said, please. 

I am just saying 'fact checkers' are laughable.  But I will say,  one FACT you apparently missed is the FACT that American Pickers DID blur the swastika and you said you didn't observe that happening.

I will lock this thread now.It has gone off track again, nothing wrong with a social and cultural discussion; just not on a site dedicated to collecting Militaria. Thanks. Robert