Last night's American Pickers.......02/15/2021

pararaftanr2

Did anybody watch it? I know it's scripted and not "real", but once in a blue moon they have some militaria on. Last night they visited a mixed US and German WW2 collection in Pennsylvania. I wonder if the owner is a member here? There was a restored WW2 jeep in the driveway and a basement full of mostly WW2 helmets and a few mannequins. Right off the bat, Danielle was uncomfortable with the swastikas on some of the German items. Of course they were blurred out on screen. Later she commented that she knew little about WW2, as she was taught nothing about it in school? Anyway, they ended up "buying" two antique German mechanical toys, a pair (supposedly) of Queen Victoria's stockings and a 1920's vintage child's WWI-type uniform. No interest apparently in the real WW2 items in the collection, other than a nice A-2 attributed to a B-17 crewman. Looked to be in decent shape and was a size 42 with "Hell's Angels" painted across the shoulders in yellow and red. The "expert" they called gave a low-ball price estimate because it didn't have more colorful artwork on the back. Wisely, the collector hung on to that one. 

Started watching this krap. Turned it off. Just Can't watch one more 'oh those make me uneasy, and I know little to nothing about WW2 but ask me about stripping'.... er burlesque...

It doesn't surprise me one bit she wasn't taught much about WW2 in school. When I was in school in the 80s we ran through WW2 like a hot knife thru butter. I complained to the teacher but was told 'we don't have time to cover that'... wait, you don't have time to cover the worst war in human history? There's nothing to be learned from it?

It's not just the Public Skewls either.. Was with my wife's 30 something son recently and he knew little to nothing about the war either. Or much about the cold war either or even Viet Nam! ! In fact he told me about this book I should read that he was reading that was scaring him bc it was so close to what is going on now in the world - 1984- I told him that was REQUIRED reading in 1980s for my class...The look on his face -priceless. Like why didn't we 'warn them'...said hey we tried, but pokemon was more interesting to y'all. Told em he should pick up Animal Farm too~ never heard of that either... and he went to a private school... just sad, really sad.

So, surprise me she knows jack? nope. Sad. Think about all the men who died for ? this is why it's so important we talk to our own kids and teach them OURSELVES. I was not married to my present wife when she was raising Cain ;) And she was way too busy working three jobs to support him and his lazy pops to monitor that....so.... that's where we're headed folks.....

The show is largely theater and has some entertainment value purely through the visuals. It is a far better show if you mute the sound and watch the artifacts that the porkers...er...pickers ignore.

You know it is pure tripe when they "find" some Purple Heart medals (in another episode) and then contact the Fikester to "return" them to the family. Not only did the Fikester get another opportunity to make a veteran's story all about him but the Porkers got to join in and and demonstrate their own "glorious altruism."

The episode was OK.  The collector did have a decent assortment of stuff, and seemed like a regular collector-type.

They paid up big time on that kids WW1 uiform.

The one thing I have a problem with is Danielle getting "triggered".  Give me a break, snowflake.  

BILL THE PATCH
The episode was OK.  The collector did have a decent assortment of stuff, and seemed like a regular collector-type.

They paid up big time on that kids WW1 uiform.

The one thing I have a problem with is Danielle getting "triggered".  Give me a break, snowflake.  
She probably wanted a puppy and a quiet corner to reflect. To funny, but way way to sad

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

TheCrustyBosun

I enjoy the show. I have been occasionally disappointed by their bypassing of certain items seen in the background. I have to remind myself that they’re not shopping for me. They have picked militaria on the show from time to time, but the items are either very unique or highly significant from what I’ve seen. 

Here’s what I see as their normal fare. 

Toys

Tools

Automotive items

Motorcycles

Mopeds

Bicycles

Gas pumps

Oil Cans

Advertising

Architectural 

Furniture

Clothing

Appliances

Taxidermy

occasionally- fire extinguishers, cars, and tattoo related items (only because Danielle has ink). 

vintageproductions

I will say what I have said on a few other posts about the reality shows on tv right now.

The first day Owen and I were on set for Combat Cash, the Discovery Channel exec told us flat out, " Remember there is no such thing as reality in reality tv". Never forgot those words the rest of the time we filmed.

olivedrab1970

I enjoy watching the show to see the places they go and the interesting things that pop up time to time. It is really an escape from all the other BS out there and regardless somewhat entertaining. As far as Danielle and the swastika issue, I find that overboard and pointless and really to CYA for the show from any snowflake rants. I myself do not have the same interests I did when in the 1970's & 1980's as a kid and stay away from German junk as I like to call it these days. It is mostly reproduced and fakes galore and after knowing a vast number of WWII vets growing up and hearing their stories choose to remember them and collect primarily U.S. memorabilia keeping their stories alive.

Robin-

8 minutes ago, olivedrab1970 said:

I enjoy watching the show to see the places they go and the interesting things that pop up time to time. It is really an escape from all the other BS out there and regardless somewhat entertaining. As far as Danielle and the swastika issue, I find that overboard and pointless and really to CYA for the show from any snowflake rants. I myself do not have the same interests I did when in the 1970's & 1980's as a kid and stay away from German junk as I like to call it these days. It is mostly reproduced and fakes galore and after knowing a vast number of WWII vets growing up and hearing their stories choose to remember them and collect primarily U.S. memorabilia keeping their stories alive.

Robin-

I hear ya Robin, but I think the point is that a “CYA”, as you call it, shouldn’t be necessary.  As this perspective continues to be fostered and bloom, so will the pressure to sweep these artifacts under the rug.  Today it’s Nazi items, what is it tomorrow?  I’m not an alarmist, but if we think it stops there, we don’t learn from history.  Look at the MOH legislation, and the now-proposed legislation on PHs.  Slippery slopes on personal property rights, and what is deemed appropriate.

At the expense of preaching to the choir, these are inanimate objects, that should be preserved and studied in their proper historical context.  To forget what they represent - and the deeds around them - is dangerous, and dishonors the sacrifices of a generation that fought for democracy and freedom.  

TheCrustyBosun

Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII and my father served in Vietnam. When I began to collect militaria, he told me that for as long as I lived under his roof, I wasn’t allowed to have “Nazi stuff”.  I remember coming home with a post-war West German Army poncho to use in Civil Air Patrol field exercises and promptly received a ration from him when he saw the German flag printed on it. He was not in the mood to hear my explanation or be otherwise educated until a few days later. He told me to keep it out of his sight. He explained his feelings on the subject and I respected them. I possess just one piece of German WWII militaria, a navy flat hat with tally from the ship I served on in the USCG and it’s a repro. 

I just never had a real desire to have those kind of things and my frequent visits to one particular surplus store in Groton, CT only reinforced my feelings further. I always liked the store. They had all kinds of goodies. They also did A LOT of business in Nazi items. I just didn’t get it, I suppose. 

As for collecting awards, I have mixed feelings. 

collectsmedals
2 hours ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII and my father served in Vietnam. When I began to collect militaria, he told me that for as long as I lived under his roof, I wasn’t allowed to have “Nazi stuff”.  I remember coming home with a post-war West German Army poncho to use in Civil Air Patrol field exercises and promptly received a ration from him when he saw the German flag printed on it. He was not in the mood to hear my explanation or be otherwise educated until a few days later. He told me to keep it out of his sight. He explained his feelings on the subject and I respected them. I possess just one piece of German WWII militaria, a navy flat hat with tally from the ship I served on in the USCG and it’s a repro. 

I just never had a real desire to have those kind of things and my frequent visits to one particular surplus store in Groton, CT only reinforced my feelings further. I always liked the store. They had all kinds of goodies. They also did A LOT of business in Nazi items. I just didn’t get it, I suppose. 

As for collecting awards, I have mixed feelings. 

My father was in WWII and saw a lot of action with the 509 P.I.R. in North Africa and Italy, He was wounded twice and was awarded a Silver Star. He loved collecting Nazi memorabilia, especially daggers. I think it was his way of saying I won you lost your things are on my wall. It is funny sometimes how people with similar experiences with war react so differently.

Funny thing to bring up on the show.

Why even say anything about it?

Is there a Holocaust survivor in her family?

Strange time to make your opinion known and planned by the show.

4 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

I hear ya Robin, but I think the point is that a “CYA”, as you call it, shouldn’t be necessary.  As this perspective continues to be fostered and bloom, so will the pressure to sweep these artifacts under the rug.  Today it’s Nazi items, what is it tomorrow?  I’m not an alarmist, but if we think it stops there, we don’t learn from history.  Look at the MOH legislation, and the now-proposed legislation on PHs.  Slippery slopes on personal property rights, and what is deemed appropriate.

At the expense of preaching to the choir, these are inanimate objects, that should be preserved and studied in their proper historical context.  To forget what they represent - and the deeds around them - is dangerous, and dishonors the sacrifices of a generation that fought for democracy and freedom.  

well stated. +1

Enough with the feigned revulsion -that's where I switched the channel

I watched to see the stuff the gentleman had - a bit put off by the required for TV political correctness. The "I didn't learn anything about WW2 in school" comment was a sad commentary. Did they buy the kid's WW1 outfit? Animal Farm is a good must read for younger folks. Isn't that the one that says somewhere "all animals are equal -  some are more equal than others".  Words to remember.

20 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

I will say what I have said on a few other posts about the reality shows on tv right now.

The first day Owen and I were on set for Combat Cash, the Discovery Channel exec told us flat out, " Remember there is no such thing as reality in reality tv". Never forgot those words the rest of the time we filmed.

Oh there's a reality to it Bob.  Problem is that you live in the real world and are educated and knowledgeable about the history of the artifacts you collect.  The alternate reality is about ignorant little children who become "triggered" with things they have no knowledge about but can't keep their big mouths shut.

Hookemhorns88

The older I get the more cynical and questioning I become. People can be ignorant of certain subjects which I can understand because there are subjects that I don’t know enough about until I read up on it before I give my opinion. But it seems more and more people skip the ignorant stage and go directly to being stupid.

3 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

The older I get the more cynical and questioning I become. People can be ignorant of certain subjects which I can understand because there are subjects that I don’t know enough about until I read up on it before I give my opinion. But it seems more and more people skip the ignorant stage and go directly to being stupid.

Great point, and an important distinction between ignorance and the other stuff.  There does seem to be less intellectual curiosity and inquiry, where people educate themselves and make their own decisions.   

It all seems to be dogma now, where many folks identify with a particular group, and just parrot the views of that group.  No discussion, no trying to understand other perspectives, just spoon-fed pablum.  It’s almost as if there is a list of pre-formed responses on all major topics.  And to be clear, it’s not just one group.  That’s why there is no middle ground, and no independent issues.  If you believe one way on item #1, then you have to believe this way on items #2 through #5.  

One of the reality shows was interested in item I had and reached out to bring it on the show. 

I said fine, but I have to know who your "expert' is going to be in setting its value.  I did not want some low knowledge "expert" declaring the value to be fraction of the true value and taint the artifact in the process.

They never wrote back ... lol.      By the way ... that item sold for 22 times my first appraised value and today would be appraised for 50 times that estimate.  So appraisals are not always reliable ... especially on TV reality shows.

I didn't see the episode, but after reading through the comments I don't think I missed anything. 

We live in an age where the entire collection of human knowledge is free and available to anyone with a computer or cell phone, yet we seem to be getting dumber as a society. Reacting with "feigned revulsion" or manufactured outrage is easier than actually learning something for yourself. And to me it seems that learning and memorization are giving way to knowing how to Google the answer you need. "I don't need to know that, I'll just look it up if I need to know" is the new mantra for those under 20.  

21 minutes ago, MattS said:

I didn't see the episode, but after reading through the comments I don't think I missed anything. 

We live in an age where the entire collection of human knowledge is free and available to anyone with a computer or cell phone, yet we seem to be getting dumber as a society. Reacting with "feigned revulsion" or manufactured outrage is easier than actually learning something for yourself. And to me it seems that learning and memorization are giving way to knowing how to Google the answer you need. "I don't need to know that, I'll just look it up if I need to know" is the new mantra for those under 20.  

I agree with much of what you said, however, it's not the mantra for ALL those under 20. I know some under twenties who know as much as some adults about WW2 [and more than MOST adults] and I am not lying to you, their parents take an active role in their education. In fact, one under 20 I personally know will probably give a fair amount of some of the facebook forums crowd a run for their money and some here too. Except his parents SEVERELY limit the time he is allowed to spend on social media.

There's plenty of those people in ALL age groups now. I am a gen Xer and I have family MY AGE who 'talk to their phones' for information and go with the first thing that pops up in a Google search. It's pure unadulterated laziness and sloth.

12 minutes ago, Thor996 said:

I agree with much of what you said, however, it's not the mantra for ALL those under 20. I know some under twenties who know as much as some adults about WW2 [and more than MOST adults] and I am not lying to you, their parents take an active role in their education. In fact, one under 20 I personally know will probably give a fair amount of some of the facebook forums crowd a run for their money and some here too. Except his parents SEVERELY limit the time he is allowed to spend on social media.

There's plenty of those people in ALL age groups now. I am a gen Xer and I have family MY AGE who 'talk to their phones' for information and go with the first thing that pops up in a Google search. It's pure unadulterated laziness and sloth.

Fair enough. I didn't say ALL, but it sure seems more prevalent in the generation that grew up with Google than those 40 and over. 

How many people really think that Danny D doesn’t know anything about WWII?

Didn’t see the show but do watch Oak Island because I love old pieces of wood from 150 feet down.

Sorry about that, back to the point which is even though I didn’t see it i know the whole scene was staged.

Why?

Its a sign of the times they just want everyone to know where they stand.

Maybe the show will wake someone up and they’ll wonder what was that all about and look it up?

How is collecting going to change?

23 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

Having appeared on the National Geographic Channel's totally faked  LORDS OF WAR with Sean Rich, I say amen to that. 

I had a couple credited extra parts in a couple of full length Hollyweird films.

If you ever get a chance to see movie TV film production up close in person, you never look at it the same again.

Of course we all know its staged and made up. But after you see these things being made, you come to realize that everything

on TV is staged to some extent...... Everything.

The news included. ....Everything. It all follows a script.

As far as German stuff.

I dont have any thing against the stuff..... But......

I never had any interest in it. It always gave me the creeps and

its all too gaudy looking and I always have just gotten bad vibes from all of it.

They lost thank God and I personally dont want to collect

their gear.

Just US Items.

BILL THE PATCH
Oh there's a reality to it Bob.  Problem is that you live in the real world and are educated and knowledgeable about the history of the artifacts you collect.  The alternate reality is about ignorant little children who become "triggered" with things they have no knowledge about but can't keep their big mouths shut.
+1, Ditto

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk