m1 Laundry mark D-5229

dskjl

30 possibilities to research to try and figure out whose it is.  Unless you have some other bits of information to go on it might be kind of tough.

1 minute ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

It's looks like the ny parade lids that were used.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Agreed, it looks like there maybe another image underneath shield, but it looks that way on one side and it’s very difficult to see.

8 hours ago, dskjl said:

Rear seam OD3 

Hmm... thats an interesting combo...rear and OD3.   Nice lid.  The "D" in your laundry number we assume is his last initial? Thats how it was done? I did not know that. Always thought it was some coded designation

Z

On 2/15/2021 at 7:20 PM, dskjl said:

Thank you, not sure I have the right person as there appears to be a private with a 4 years of college and perhaps the same soldier found hear as a captain.  But thrilled to have the reference source, thank you.

http://wwii-enlistment.com/record/36235229/

My assumption would be he was drafted/enlisted as a private (with 4 years of college), fast tracked through OCS (90 day wonder), commissioned a 2nd lieutenant and finished as a captain. Upon commissioning, he would have been given an officer's serial number (O-######), but before then he would have used his enlisted ASN of 36235229. The problem with that theory is he went in on February 16, 1942, and I would have thought he would have been commissioned prior to the time that M1s had the seams moved to the rear. 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:15 AM, Paddyd00 said:

Hmm... thats an interesting combo...rear and OD3.   Nice lid.  The "D" in your laundry number we assume is his last initial? Thats how it was done? I did not know that. Always thought it was some coded designation

Z

Army laundry marks are first letter of the last name and the last 4 of the serial number, or (like in my day) the last four of your SSN. 

I'm pretty sure some officers used their last initial for the laundry number instead of the "O" in some instances. It may be he just didn't use the o designation. 

6 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

I'm pretty sure some officers used their last initial for the laundry number instead of the "O" in some instances. It may be he just didn't use the o designation. 

True, and sometimes just the last 4 digits.