Chicago Aerial Survey Co Camera part help needed

Tobyledog

Hi all.

I picked this up yesterday in France & have been unable to find much out about it online.

What was it used on & how was it used?

The order number appears to be for 1943.

It has never been used & is still in it's original box with accessories & fitting screws etc.

Many thanks

Rob

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

Well using my Bing-Fu I did find this when I put in

"What ww2 aircraft used Chicago Aerial Survey Co Camera"

I was taken to a pdf page that mentioned this company and what the developed for use on US Navy and USAAF aircraft.

I was hoping on a more detailed explanation in the hopes it would show a photo of the camera, But I'll leave that to the owner to dig deeper. 

https://www.asprs.org/wp-content/uploads/pers/1946journal/jun/1946_jun_219-223.pdf

Semper Fi

Phil 

Hello Phil. Many thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one(although I had found similar), it was very interesting to read. That camera mentioned was patented in 1944 by FT Sonne & used to take stereoscopic photos of targets. It also was possible to take high resolution photographs at high speeds but low levels. I think my "part" was used to focus one or more lenses remotely or possibly to wind the film on automatically. The camera in the article looks to have all the components enclosed in the case. I found an article that showed 7 planes flying in formation & taking photographs simultaneously. I'll update if I find more info. Thanks again. Rob